Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Health & Hygiene
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Health & Hygiene Anything to do with the health or hygiene of a chinchilla - post it here!

Old 02-01-2009, 12:05 PM
NOLA Chins

Default Simethicone- a new look

I have been talking with our vet regarding the usefulness of simethicone. Recently he called me and relayed a post from a vet forum. University researchers stated that the use of simethicone was not indicated to treat the type of gas chins suffer during bloat. This is because simethicone is an anti foaming agent. I gathered the 2 researchers did more than just read the label.

Our protocol has now changed to emphasize hydration, exercise and massage, x-rays and motility drugs also as long as there is enough to move. This will be started at the earliest detected sign of bloat.

I would appreciate any info on refining the above.

Rick
Old 02-01-2009, 12:19 PM United States

Chinchillas: 1

Little off topic, but what are the signs of early bloat?
Old 02-01-2009, 04:24 PM
NOLA Chins

The signs of early bloat can be subtle. First, start looking when there is a reason- a there are many: switching food, injesting bad food items (especially with youngsters) may cause bloat, or so I am told. The 5 cases I have been confronted with can be linked to infections of the mouth or - I think more likely - the antibiotics used to treat such. Watch for a sudden decrease or cessation of drinking (Do Not give a sugared drink like Pedilyte!), a roundness of the tummy and a taut, drumhead like feeling when palpated; abnormal stretching or rubbing the stomach- once you see it you'll have no doubts what's going on.

Make sure you know what 'normal' feels like so you can detect abnormal quickly.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:32 PM United States
I bite.

Chinchillas: 8

I was always under the impression that it shouldn't be used to TREAT bloat, but help prevent it.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:35 PM United States
Memory Keeper

Chinchillas: 5
Hedgehogs: 1

So why would the type of agent cause it to be contraindicated in the "type" of bloat that chins have?

Simethicone works only in the abdomen. When you have gas in the abdomen, simethicone works to break the "film" on the gas bubble so that it can be passed by the the chin. A large bubble in the intestines is what typically causes stasis because where there is a gas bubble, there isn't food for the intestines to push on.

Since simethicone is harmless without overdose effects, I see no reason to not continue it.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:42 PM United Kingdom
Responsible & wise

Chinchillas: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA Chins View Post
University researchers stated that the use of simethicone was not indicated to treat the type of gas chins suffer during bloat. This is because simethicone is an anti foaming agent. I gathered the 2 researchers did more than just read the label.
Ummm....... so what did they do exactly to warrant such a recommendation?
Simethicone as an anti-foaming agent is used extensively as an adjunct in the treatment of bloat -I (for one) would need to see some very robust research before I considered discontinuing it's use.

Quote:
Our protocol has now changed to emphasize hydration, exercise and massage, x-rays and motility drugs also as long as there is enough to move. This will be started at the earliest detected sign of bloat.
I'm curious - please can you explain your previous protocol?

Former human slave to The Lord Montague.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:49 PM
NOLA Chins

Was my first post unclear? The type of bloat suffered by chins is not classified as foaming.

We will likely continue using it also. Even large doses are not harmful.

I just find it encouraging that some science is trickling down to the chins level. Something to counter-act the glib pseudo-science peddled and parroted so often.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:55 PM
NOLA Chins

>I'm curious - please can you explain your previous protocol?

Sure, it was what was generally accepted: simethicone, stomach massage, exercise, working against dehydration, critical care and hoping.

I am not an expert but I am intensely interested as only losing a chin could make me.

And I really should know better-

It is likely other vets will have read the same report. Instead of defending the continued use of something that may be useless, maybe a better agent can be found.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:57 PM United States
Memory Keeper

Chinchillas: 5
Hedgehogs: 1

Quote:
Something to counter-act the glib pseudo-science peddled and parroted so often.
Yes. Those with little to no chin experience often repeat things without understanding the science behind it. It's almost as bad as when they repeat things out of context without documentation and claim it as new information.

My favorite is "My hairdresser's brother's girlfriend's aunt's sister is a vet tech..."

Oh, could you please document where someone has actually identified the "type" of bloat a chinchilla has?
Old 02-01-2009, 04:59 PM United Kingdom
Responsible & wise

Chinchillas: 50

Quote:
I just find it encouraging that some science is trickling down to the chins level. Something to counter-act the glib pseudo-science peddled and parroted so often.
You have not answered my questions ..................

Foaming bloat is generally found in ruminants - babies who use Simethicone don't generally suffer from foaming bloat either but it is still an effective treatment.

I see nothing in your posts to substantiate the "researchers" claims.

Former human slave to The Lord Montague.