Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Health & Hygiene
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Health & Hygiene Anything to do with the health or hygiene of a chinchilla - post it here!

Old 04-21-2019, 11:05 AM United States

Chinchillas: 1
Default Succulents safe to live with?

Succulents seem to be growing in popularity, especially here in New England. I wanted to get a little one (I'm in a "studio," w/some extra walls lol) since as I research them more, I find the idea of oxygen for better sleep via succulents appealing.
Are plants like succulents or plants in general ever harmful to be breathed in by chins? I'd have it in my bedroom where he also lives. It's not like I'm going to put a little pine, white willow, hemlock forest up in my room or anything, heh.
But seriously, is it just eating toxic plants in general or if they inhaled the smell of toxic plants that's as bad? (I CLEARLY would never even play the game of risk with woods like the aforementioned that we know make all the major toxic lists, just a what-if question, especially for lesser known ones!)
Old 04-21-2019, 04:43 PM Canada

Chinchillas: 2

Succulents are fine, some with most house plants, so long as your chin doesn't have access to it where it can eat it. I currently have my aloe vera plant just a few feet from the cage.

I would be cautious about flowering plants though, especially ones that produce a lot of pollen that could blow into the chin's cage, or have a strong smell.
3 Dogs: Bear, Loki, and Blaze
Old 04-25-2019, 04:39 PM United States

Chinchillas: 14

If they can't eat it then I wouldn't worry about it. I did have a guinea pig eat a small cactus once. I had some started on a mat on the floor under a growlight with a wire barrier. I came back in the room with treats while they were out to find they'd managed to shove the wire apart. I never even figured out which of the 4 ate it. Prior to my husband killing it I had a several foot wide and tall aloe plant on top of a 5' bookshelf in the same room as the small critters with no issues. Just don't let them have access to it or at best you have no more plant.