Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > News & Questions > News & Questions
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

News & Questions Check for important information and post general questions about the forum and its operation here.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:01 AM United States

Default Warm Feet

So my female chinchillas Bijouís feet are nomally cold, but I noticed this morning theyíre warm. Theyíre not red, bleeding, or cracked just a little warmer than usual. Is this cause for concern? Iíve also noticed sometimes when she sits she tends to sit back on her heels so that the front of her feet arenít touching the grounds is this normal or is she in some kind of pain? Iíve got wooden shelves in her cage, a lava ledge, weíve got a fleece floor and a brick to help her wear down her toenails. So sheís got a variety of safe surfaces, Iím going to go to the pet store and invest in some bird perches to give her some variety and less flat surfaces to see if that helps but in the mean time is there anything I should be doing?
Old 08-21-2018, 11:53 AM Canada

Chinchillas: 2

It doesn't sound like anything to worry about, she could have just been standing around. Think about your own feet, if you are standing around all day your feet feel hot.

Some chins do like to sit back on their heels, which takes pressure off the toes and puts it on the heels and that can cause the feet to widen and even sometimes crack at the heel. Flat surfaces are actually unnatural for chins, in the wild they are hopping around on rocks, dirt, wood sticks and branches, and stuff like that. Perches are a good idea, get various widths if you can, 1" and bigger, I have about a dozen in my guys cage. The idea of the perches is it causes the chin to have to roll their feet over the perches to keep balanced, which helps blood flow. Other things you can add are large round rocks, clay pots turned on their sides, and tunnels. The idea is to force the chin to have to use their entire feet to balance and stop the habit of sitting back on her heels. A chin's back feet should look kind of like leafless trees, long and thin from the heel up, then spreading out at the toes.
3 Dogs: Bear, Loki, and Blaze