Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Health & Hygiene
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Health & Hygiene Anything to do with the health or hygiene of a chinchilla - post it here!

Old 03-19-2014, 02:41 PM United States
Pro Cage Cleaner Champion

Chinchillas: 240+

That's always a strange, isn't it? I've seen that, too. Normally the fungus tends to be with smaller breeders. I always chalk that up to inexperience and not knowing how to treat it. There's also the air circulation that a lot of larger breeders will have so that cleaning up the cages isn't as necessary as it would be for me.

It can be an immune issue...but usually it isn't. Sometimes, yes, of course. I just have seen a few breeders in particular that grasp for an excuse like that. If you have a herd of chins and it pops up with one old chin or only a few younger chins, definitely it could be having to do with the immune system. It's just that when I see rampant fungus all over an entire herd, generally there is something else wrong.

Boosting the immune system will provide chins with a number of benefits of course. Part of that is keeping things clean. Ammonia in the air (in a large concentration) definitely puts a huge load on a chin and staying healthy is more difficult. Stress, improper temperatures, etc etc etc...all cause serious issues with chin's health.

You are right, if their health is greatly compromised making them more susceptible to illness, they will probably be more likely to have fungus. Just telling you what I have seen...

http://chinstore.azchins.com
Old 03-22-2014, 12:02 PM United States
hmmmmmmm

Chinchillas: 200

So, if the chinchillas are already being fed a high quality pellet, timothy hay and reverse osmosis water what else would you do to boost the immune system?
Wouldn't a high quality pellet already have all of the vitamins they should need?
Old 03-22-2014, 12:32 PM United States
Pro Cage Cleaner Champion

Chinchillas: 240+

Keep them in a clean environment with good ventilation, as well. They are less stressed that way and less stress is better for the immune system.

http://chinstore.azchins.com
Old 09-02-2018, 07:35 PM United States
luvcafe

Chinchillas: 1
hmmm Help!! New chin has a skin problem

Hi all,

My girl has hand and chin bold in two weeks, and I just bring her home a month ago. I found her left hand started to get hair loss and thought it maybe caused by water when she drinks water. But soon I found out another spot is getting bold too which is her chin and where is even worse! Can anyone see what happen to her? If this can be fungal or ribgworm or something else?? If so, what should I do?

I cant post photo cause file suze is too big... I describe the bold area is a little bit like dandruff..
Old 09-03-2018, 11:10 AM Canada

Chinchillas: 2

What you are describing sounds more like the chin might have malo (Malocclusion) rather then a fungal infection. You should take your chin in to the vet and get check out. You will need x-rays to check to see if it's just the teeth involved or if the roots have elongated too.

The fur loss on the hands, arms, and chin is most commonly caused by drooling. The chinchilla drools, wipes her mouth with her paws, which causes them to get wet over and over causing the fur to fall out. Fungal infections, like ringworm, normally show up around the eyes and nose, and look like dry flaky skin, not wet.

If it's just the teeth you might be able to prolong the chin's life for a little while with teeth filings, but ultimately, if it is malo, there is no cure. Teeth filing will need to be done anywhere from every few weeks to every few months, depending on how fast the teeth grow. Once there is root involvement though it's really a quality over quantity situation. The top roots will grew up into the skull and end up puncturing the eyes, nasal cavity, and brain. The bottom roots can end up growing down through the jaw, coming out under the chinchilla's chin. It's best to put the chin to sleep before it gets to any of those points.

Just so you know, attachments don't really seem to work on this forum anyway. For pics your best bet is to upload them to a photo share site then link them here.
3 Dogs: Bear, Loki, and Blaze