Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Housing & Supplies
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Housing & Supplies Anything to do with the housing & supplies of a chinchilla - post it here!

Old 05-29-2014, 02:08 PM United States
Chinchillaxin Chica

Chinchillas: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziether View Post
Here is my setup:

Designed it where poopies rarely fall out of cage. Hay has become an issue since my chins decided to "redesign" their food bowl.
This is an absolutely AMAZING set up Did you make all of the wooden cage accessories yourself? And if so, what would you estimate was the cost on this makeover? Can you replicate these items? I love this!!!
Old 05-30-2014, 01:11 PM United States

Chinchillas: 2

Yes I agree Ziether's setup is amazing. Would love to know where you got all that stuff.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:34 PM United States

Chinchillas: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri7 View Post
Yes I agree Ziether's setup is amazing. Would love to know where you got all that stuff.
I have watched his video about it and i am pretty sure in the video he said he made all of these (:
Old 05-30-2014, 11:10 PM United States
Scooper of all the poops!

Chinchillas: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziether View Post
Here is my setup
@_@ I need your cage... It's so cool!
Old 05-30-2014, 11:42 PM United States

That cage is so awesome. I'm completely jealous.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:27 PM United Kingdom

I love this. Really ingenious and skilled use of wood here. Looks like all the compartments are accessible for easier cleaning too.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:52 PM United States

Chinchillas: 1
Default Litter training - how did you do it?

How did you litter train your Chin. I've had my boy for 8 months and I tried - every day - put some of the wet litter in a small glass pan I used and every day he would pee in that pan, but also in ohter spots. I've since switched to Fleece on the bottom, and while he always pees in the pan - he also pees in other places - I could never get him to go in just one place. Any recommends?

And where did you get custom wood shelves from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrk11 View Post
Hi Jen,

The Quality Cages are really good cages and the litter issue is across the boards on most cages. They love to make messes don't they.

I have the Critter Nation (same mfg as Ferret Nation) and there is a good deal of revamping you will need to do for a chin set up. They have plastic trays that need to be replaced with wood and there are no scatter guards available. I had to make some myself. It cost about $200 to have custom made wooden shelves that my little one who is part termite had chewed up pretty well.

I have seen wooden scatter guards that you attach to the outside of the cage that are custom made but I don't remember the vendor that was offering them.

Scatter gurard do help with the mess but there is another thing that really helped me with the litter mess. I litter box trained my little one, Lola.

It not only saves on mess but saves on litter cost. I got a corner metal litter box from Chinchilla Things and love it. It only took 1 day to train her to use the potty. The litter is now only in the potty and whatever kicks out usually stays in the cage.

Granted the poop is still all over but I just sweep it out each day with a dustpan and brush. The cage stays cleaner.

As far as the saucer goes, Lola won't use one either. She has the Chinspin and runs like a bandit on it. It takes up less space too.

In the housing section of this forum there was a previous post that has quite a few pictures of Ferret and Critter Nations. I think it's labeled "Show Off Your Critter Nation"

Check it out.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:01 PM Belgium

We handmade the entire cage and I really liked to have a middle devider since my chins like their ledges but one of then is a little clumsy, and the middle devider keeps the cage a bit more quiet and the devider keeps him from falling but when they get crazy energetic they can easily jump from the bottom to upper part. I also made it so I can open the houses and tunnels in case of emergency.
https://imgur.com/a/Tz3cJP7
Old 02-15-2019, 08:28 PM Canada

Default we just bought this setup

We just bought this setup for our chinchillas and we absolutely love it , I don't have pictures from my room but this is the set that we bought from www.ChinchillaLedges.com
The poop guards are so nice , the ledges we had before didn't have them and they made such a mess its cut down the mess a lot lol but who are we kidding they still make it look like a bomb went off in their room lol

I don't know how to upload pictures it doesn't like the one I have so here is a link if you want to see what it looks like

https://chinchillaledges.com/collect...nting-hardware