Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Debate
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Debate Debate chin topics here - PLEASE KEEP IT CIVIL!

Old 08-08-2010, 05:54 PM United States
Queen Becky, Ruler of Purpleland

Chinchillas: 250

Bettering the breed means you improve what you are working with. In the chin world, that means adding quality standards to a line.

Violets have improved tremendously over the last 5-10 years. That's because so many breeders have taken the time and used great animals to make violets bigger, with better fur. Sapphires are a newer mutation and are behind the violets by quite a bit. There are those that are working with them to improve them.

Every new mutation starts at the bottom. If the people breeding them know what they are doing and are careful about the animals they use, the animals will be stronger, healthier, bigger and better. That's the case with the curlies. Jim is one of the best breeders we have and he is working hard on them.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:28 PM United States
Bad Chin

Actually that's not true. Sapphires first appears a couple years before violets did. They were just not available as soon for more breeders to work with them.

ECBC Member
Old 08-08-2010, 07:20 PM United States

Bad choice of words. Sapphires have not improved like violets have. IMO they are not even close to as far along.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:14 PM United States

Chinchillas: 30

Sapphires have a long way to go, true. But at the WI seminar Joshua Jagileo said he'd wanted to get Grand Show with a Sapphire, and I told him I'd race him so hopefully by the time I retire OR he is out of college one of us will make it!

Didn't Jim indicate the curly gene seems to be ebony linked, at least with the chins he is working with? He doesn't have it in Violet similar to what Ronda saw, does he? Or another color?
2013 MCBA National Grand Show Champion
2012 Empress National Grand Show, Reserve Grand Show, and Third Best of Show Mutation
2011 Empress National Grand Show Mutation
2009 Empress National Grand Show and Third Best of Show Mutation
Proud ECBC & MCBA member & ECBC Ranch Certified
Old 08-08-2010, 08:48 PM United States

I don't think so. I know they have some mosaics right now. They are thinking that it might be a cumulative gene of some sort, but they didn't mention it linked to a certain color.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:53 PM United States

Chinchillas: 1

That fur looks exactly like the fur on the back of a chesapeake bay retriever. Or a short haired poodle I guess. Poodle chins!!!!
Old 08-08-2010, 11:18 PM

Chinchillas: 999

Sapphires are not all bad. I have seen some that Jim would not sell that were super nice and would be at the top of the table competing for Grand Show if he would just show them.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:51 AM Canada

Chinchillas: 11

I've seen some extremely nice sapphires at the Ryerson and Christiane is also breeding some nice ones too.

I agree with Becky. It takes time to improve something. Lots of generations. I'D love to read more on that. Interesting the ebony-link, can't wait to see how it goes and develops. I think they are really cute. That's the kind of thing I love: seeing something new and seeing its improvement. Working hard to try to understand how it really works.

www.mondeexoticland.com
www.moccachinchillas.com
Old 08-11-2010, 10:28 PM
LilanChilla

I think the previous conversation has just proved my point. With the first sap it was probably a debate on whether to breed it or not, now they are widely accepted, at least as far as this forum is concerned. Give it time and I gaurentee it that they will also be welcome at shows.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:00 PM United States
Administrator/Owner

Chinchillas: 300'

Quote:
I think the previous conversation has just proved my point. With the first sap it was probably a debate on whether to breed it or not, now they are widely accepted, at least as far as this forum is concerned. Give it time and I gaurentee it that they will also be welcome at shows.
Have you attended any shows? Shows are judged against a pelt standard. I can't imagine anyone is going to want a curly haired, thin furred chinchilla coat. People want chinchilla coats for their thick, luxurious feel.