Gut stasis

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nezhka

*sigh* Buster stopped pooing, so I took him to the vet. They gave me critical care, as well as a medication: Metoclopramide syrup.

The directions are, 0.3 mL three times a day for 10 days. Does this sound right?

I haven't had to deal with this (medical issue) until now, so any suggestions will be appreciated!

It's a good start but it's not enough.

First, Critical Care. You need to feed him 4-5 times a day, 10 -12 ml each feeding. That's with Critical Care mixed according to directions. Give water between feedings if he's not drinking.

He needs food, the meds and tummy massages. Massage in a circular motion firmly but not too hard. If he feels bloated or stretches, I'd give him a dropper of simethicone three to four times a day.

He has GI stasis. He really should have Propulsid and Metacam also. He also may need subcu fluids if the food inside is dry and hard. Try to keep him active; excercise can help move things along also.

Your vet doesn't sound all that chin-savvy. You might want to print this out and give it to him. http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html A lot of it applies to chins.

Hedgemom has it right, you need the CC force feed as much as possible. I cannot stress how important the tummy massages are, all the way from upper stomach down. Do it as much as you possibly can.

Fluids are very important when a chin is not pooping. Many people think that just feeding CC is enough and it usually is not. His intestinal tract has to have fluids in case any food is slowing things down or blocked entirely. See if he will take some fluids from a syringe. Many chins are thirsty, but because they don't feel well will not bother to go and get a drink. Some will just suck the end of a syringe to drink. Please make sure you administer it in very small amounts slowly so he will not choke.

As stated, keeping him active is one of the best things you can do for him. It can really speed up the process of getting things moving again.

Sorry I didn't mention the Critical Care. He told me to force feed him.
They also gave him subQ fluids.

Thanks again for your help!

You should also massage him in gentle circles on his belly ocasionally running you fingers in a line down from his sturnum downward. sometimes that helps

the only thing I would add is that (if you have not done so yet) keep him on paper towels or fleece instead of bedding so that you can monitor his poop when he gets back to business....that way he they are a poor color or shape you can tell and you can also monitor that he is going and how much

Other than that I think you've been pretty well covered!!!

Good luck and keep us posted!!!:thumbs:

Just to clarify, how long and often am I supposed to do the tummy massage? A minute? Five? After each feeding? Every four hours?

He took 10 mL of Critical Care with a bit of a struggle (I think I just need to figure out how to best feed him), but took the metoclopramide like a champ.

Several minutes as often as you can. You're trying to break up gas, stimulate digestion and help move things along.

Is he passing any feces at all and is he urinating?

He is urinating, but the poos are still few and far between. I'm hoping that this last round of meds/feeding will get things really going.

He is a lot more chipper this morning, though, so I'm taking that as a good sign.

even if he seems more chipper keep going with things until he has been pooping normally for a few days, then still monitor closely.

Back