playtime time?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy

i'm not entirely sure this is a health questions, so if this is in the wrong section feel free to move it...

How much out of cage play time do you guys give your chins?

Having 6 chins, it is hard to give everyone a playtime every night so I alternate. When they do get playtime they get about 45 minutes-1 hour.

Puddles gets playtime I would say 6 times a week. There's usually a day in there where I just run out of time sometimes. It varies depending on her mood. If she is having a good old time, it can last up to 2 hours if I bring something to keep me occupied. :) If she doesn't come out of her open cage within 45 minutes, I figure she's not going to come out and that's the end for the night. :)

Every morning an hour or so - sometimes they an extra late night run, too. :)

We try to let the chins out daily, and they usually run for between 20min - 1 hr (I just leave the cage door open for them to run until they are ready to go back in the cage).

im gonna sound like a bad chin mommy after looking at these answers. mine get out about 2 a week and its up to them depending how long they want to stay out if they escape twice out of the playpen then they get put up or if they start acting bored

About 5 nights a week, I try and give play time everyday but school schedule changed so playtime did too.

He generally gets to romp for 1-3 hours (I usually sit and play with him while doing homework- so he either goes home when he starts looking bored, it's been at least a good amount of time like an hour, or I'm done with my homework- generally that order too!). If I let him out for less than an hour he riots in his cage even more so than if I don't let him out at all- he has me trained :)

I'm home full time and have a pen attached to Tinkerbell's cage, so she came come and go as she pleases.

I have five chins, so like someone else said it's hard to give playtime to everyone every day. And since I've stopped working my routine has changed. I've kind of been a bad chin mommy with playing lately, but I used to take turns letting them out of their cage everynight and let them run around their bedroom for about 1/2, although people do say they need longer than that. But I also have wheels in my cages, so I don't feel that quilty, because that is also exercise.

This morning I took turns with them out in my kithen for about 1/2 each.

Jean

do you have a picture it sounds like a good concept

If I can remember, I'll get my camera out later and get a picture. I just have Tinkerbell's cage at a wall corner, bought two playpens and attached them together to make it bigger, and then tuck the ends of the playpen between the wall and the cage so she can't get out. It's not beautiful, but it functions well for what I need. Eventually I am going to make the pen taller by adding cardboard sheets to make sure Tinkerbell won't jump over the top. She never has, but there's always a first...

I have four, so two boys and two girls mean different play times:yuck:. Makes it kinda hard, but they each get play time *usually* everyday.

40ish mins of playtime in the morning on wed (Boys days.) and sun(Girls days) when I work mornings-they help me get ready!!! Didn't you know that poop hair is in:tease:

1 1/2-3 hrs of play time when I work nights or have days off (unless I'm teaching my dance class)

and at night, my boyfriend and I watch a movie (we have opposite work schedules so it's kinda our "daily date" thing) so I usually split the movie length between them, that way they are less spastic while we're sleeping. lol

Templeton comes out and snuggles for 15 or 20 minutes in the morning. Then at night, he comes out to play for another half hour or so...sometimes longer if he wants to! It all depends on how much other stuff I have to do, and also what he's in the mood for. We've got a good little system worked out :high5:

Just because you don't give playtime every night for 2 hours doesn't make you a bad owner. My chins are just as content to get a new toy in their cage or run on their wheels.

I agree, I think exercise is what is needed daily, whether running around during playtime, or running on their wheel. As long as they have the opportunity to release pent up energy.

Back