Nutri-Cal

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First, menagerie sells Critical Care and can overnight it to you. Contact her ASAP and order some. It's actually cheaper than it is on the Oxbow site and you are helping a rescue since that is where all the proceeds go to. :)

Second, grind up pellets, and hay, and mix it up with water, and a little black strap molasses for flavoring until you get the Critical care. He may not like the taste of the plain ground pellets.

It is imperative that you get food into him right now. He also needs motility drugs and subcu rehydration. If he's not hydrated, he won't eat. Also, if there is a mass in the stomach (of food), it won't break up and pass without liquid. The usual treatment given by vets to other members (my vet too) is Reglan, Propulsid, and simethicone, and people also use Metacam because bloat is very painful. Ask your experienced vet about those as soon as the office opens.

Third, Keep up those tummy massages! If he's biting, the Metacam may help with that as he is probably in pain. Or, he may just not want you messing with him. If you have to, wear a pair of gloves to keep the blood letting to a minimum, but keep massaging whether he likes it or not.

I'll post some practical experience, since this info wasn't available back in 1999.

I used both Nutri-Cal, later a product called pounds plus, then switched to custom supplements.

Nutri-Cal never actually did anything the three years I used it. They never gained weight, never showed any signs of anything, really. Some I gave a pea-sized amount to daily for over a year. Nothing. It was just a routine and I did it because it was in some book I read.

Someone gave me a bottle of pounds plus and I started using it on the rescues I was starting to take in, and saw a huge change. Quit the Nutri-Cal because I had more than 10 chins, and it was too expensive.

Took some range management nutrition and feed classes and started mixing my own supplements. Noticed a much larger difference there. I can say that they respond better to herbivore methods (big surprise) and generic treatments for horses than they do with others the vets tried.

So... I can say it didn't work for what it was intended to do with chins (weight gain/high caloric supplement). Though it didn't appear to have any adverse effects either. I've never used Critical care, may give it a try if I have need of it this go around.

Ok, so I found a local vet that has Critial Care. Upon thinking about it I decided to just bring him in there to get help feeding him, etc. Unforantly they do not deal with excics, but were willing to see him. I explained the situation and that I was uncomfortable with my vets advice. I printed off the thread about GI statis ( http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729) and the link of info in there along with the last page of this thread. I had to leave him there because they do not have an actually appointment opening unil 3:30, but they will check him out when they can. Needless to say I felt this was the best option I had eventhough I don't know a thing about this vet. I feel like such a bad chin mommy, I even cried when I left him. At least I have a flexible job that allowed to take an hour off to get him to the vet. Sorry this is so long I'm just stressed from this and nervous.
Thanks for the vent.

Don't feel like a bad chin mom, a bad owner would not even care and wouldn't be willing to do what they can for him. I think it's a good plan to have another vet at least look at him and try to help show you how to feed him.
I hope you can figure out what is wrong with him. Good luck!

If you have never hand fed a chin before, it can be nerve racking the first few times. However, it is something that you really need to get used to and I promise you, you will do it without thinking twice in a short period of time.

Fluids are vital when a chin is constipated. Rather than the Nutrical, as stated the critical care is your best bet. I mix in some baby food, usually winter squash (which chins love) to help with the taste and it is high in fiber to help get things moving. I have had this work very well countless times with chins.

Well, I've force feed my other, Floyd, in Dec. when he was taking Baytril, but Milo is much more difficult.

I have heard from the vet and he is going x-ray to check for blockages. Vet also said that he didn't feel much in is system, the other vet had said that too. I did ask the vet to x-ray the teeth while he was x-raying just as a precausion. I'm not worried about his teeth as his line his very good, but I firgured it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Ok, so I found a local vet that has Critial Care. Upon thinking about it I decided to just bring him in there to get help feeding him, etc. Unforantly they do not deal with excics, but were willing to see him. I explained the situation and that I was uncomfortable with my vets advice. I printed off the thread about GI statis ( http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729) and the link of info in there along with the last page of this thread. I had to leave him there because they do not have an actually appointment opening unil 3:30, but they will check him out when they can. Needless to say I felt this was the best option I had eventhough I don't know a thing about this vet. I feel like such a bad chin mommy, I even cried when I left him. At least I have a flexible job that allowed to take an hour off to get him to the vet. Sorry this is so long I'm just stressed from this and nervous.
Thanks for the vent.
Do not feel bad. At least you are willing to take him to the vet. A lot of times people won't. It sounds like you are doing the best you can. I'm glad you are trying to find out the "cause" of the tummy aches. You definately need to make sure you get some food into him tho. One way or another. Maybe you can have someone help you out. Someone hold and the other feed. Just until you get the hang of it. Best of luck with a speedy recovery. We are sending chinny hugs your way.

Thank you all.

Well, we're home and Milo seems to feel better. He was jumping to different shelfs, which has wasn't doing yesterday, and back to chewing sticks. I've even seen him eat a couple pieces of hay, drink water, and he's left a poo. A little progress, but progress.

Anyways, the vet said that he had air in his intestines, the vet showed me on the X-Ray. The vet gave me critial care and Cisapride 10mg. .5mls orally twice a day.

So, 2 vet visits and $160 later I think we're on the right track.

Thank you all.

Well, we're home and Milo seems to feel better. He was jumping to different shelfs, which has wasn't doing yesterday, and back to chewing sticks. I've even seen him eat a couple pieces of hay, drink water, and he's left a poo. A little progress, but progress.

Anyways, the vet said that he had air in his intestines, the vet showed me on the X-Ray. The vet gave me critial care and Cisapride 10mg. .5mls orally twice a day.

So, 2 vet visits and $160 later I think we're on the right track.

You are on the right track. Same advice stands. He needs forcing 60-70ml of food a day broken into 5=6 servings. Meds, massage and exercise. Keep him pooping. Keep him eating a lot, don't just say he's eating some hay, keep him full. Syringe water to keep him hydrated.

Good luck.

As far as feeding him the Critical Care, some chins will actually eat it off of a spoon readily, and you don't have to force it into them with the syringe. Just one thing to try if he's being difficult.

Update: I just wanted to say thank you again. Milo is back to eating, chewing and pooing normal again. I had to force the meds, critial care and water for a couple of days and I'm lucky to still have all 10 fingers. He did NOT like the critial care, even with baby squash as someone suggested. I even offered some to my other chinny, he's the jealous type, and he barked and hide in his house lol.
Now I just have to work on trust with Milo all over again. He's nipping at my hands when I pet him and hiding out in his house when I feed him, but he's very slowly coming back around. He's always been my 'non friendly' chinchilla.

Thanks again.

Back