Poo Talk

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Sugarmama

Chin's poo is supposed to be rounded on both ends, and kind of look like a little black rice grain.

I know when one end is kind of pointy, it indicates constipation. Hedgemom has always a second water bottle with chamomile tea added to the cage to encourage drinking.

A while ago, someone mentioned to watch for poo that had bubbles, or were misshapen. Can someone please explain what those indicate, and what the treatment for that would be?

Thank you, I would like to know this ahead of time, before it happens to my chins, so that I would know how to deal with it.

Bubbles can mean gas in the chins' intestines I believe in which case a trip to the vet's would be in order and maybe some infant gas drops while you are going out the door...

While on the subject of poo, my Chula's poos are slightly curved and have been since I got him. They are a good consistency, color, size...just curved. Is this normal? Would this be considered misshapen? I'm assuming he's fine and they have always been like this, but I just want to make sure.

One of the new girls is presenting with "pointy poo pebbles" this morning ..but I already have chamomile in one of their bottles and a really big bottle full of fresh water.

What else can I do? And is the remedy a safe option for both girls ..they're in the same cage.. in case it isn't both of them having "pointy poo" ?

Our chin sometimes has pointy poo but then will have curved regular poo at the end of the day. is that something that can just come out before he eats? how is pointy poo a sign of constipation?

Aminah, you can leave the tea in for both girls. If one of them needs extra hydration right now, you can give drops of water in a syringe--you can even mix acidophilus with it, to give the tummy a boost, too.

Vanessa, I don't know the particulars of why pointy poo is a sign of constipation, but I knew that pointy poo is not normal, so I spoke with Hedgemom about it. She told me it was a sign of constipation, and what to do for it. I trust Nancy's information, because she has incredible knowledge regarding animal health.

what about soft poo?

I have my Kahlua who is having soft poo issues....the only thing I changed with his cage lately is a timothy hay house thing....all made from timothy wooven hay, no wire or anything in it. He sometimes chews on it, but it's timothy....though could he have eaten too much?

Also, to help him not have such soft poo, what should I do? Anything to give him? It's like....a bit softer and a bit sticky to what I can notice, and there are many different sizes and shapes... he still has the mazuri pellets and thimothy hay, along with his timothy house...and I give him maybe one "Crock herbs" treat per day or so, it has alfalfa, vitamins and omega 3 in em....would they be the problem? Because besides that, he has unsweetened cheerios, maybe 2-3 per 2 days or so, and apple branches

Back