Vitamin C/Calcium for malo?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

UHgurl5621

Hi everyone. Some might remember me having problems with weight loss in my chin Polo. He had started to gain more weight and then dropped again. I took him into the vet today for more x-rays and for blood work to be done. Turns out upon different views in an x-ray that Polo's lower roots of his teeth are growing close to his jaw. Now the vet wants to see if there is anything in the blood work (which I will find out tomorrow) that might be causing the weight loss, lethargy, etc because they are not sure if it is close enough to the jawline to be causing him pain yet and want to make sure there isn't another problem.

I am pretty sure it's his teeth, but am trying to be optimistic. I know that if this is causing him pain I won't put him through this. I also can't believe it because I went through the same thing with my chin, Rugby, in April of 07, but his roots were elongated and growing into his eye sockets, so we knew he was definitely in pain. Since I went through this already I am not ignorant to it, so please know I will do what is best for him despite how absolutely devastating this is to go through AGAIN in less than a year.

All that background to ask, My question is, when I was doing research on malo I came up with some interesting research that I wanted to put out there and get opinions on. I found several websites talking about root elongation sometimes being caused by environmental factors, not genetics. That sometimes this can happen due to a lack of Vitamin C and calcium and there are several people out there who swear this has stopped their chins root elongation. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I am not trying to delay the inevitable in my chin, nor get my hopes up or anyone elses, I am just very curious. Especially since it seems like what are the odds that I had two chins from two different breeders at two different points in time that both have (had) tooth elongation.

I can post some of the websites that I found that explains this fairly well, if I am allowed to do so for further info.

Thanks in advance everyone! I am very interested in what everyone has to say...

Also he is currently on pain meds and Baytril for his stomach...I don't know how to edit my post to put this in here...sorry...

I don't have any research to back it up right now but what you've described is the same logic that I've encountered. I give rosehips (crushed) to my boys everyday for their Vitamin C because I've heard it helps with dental issues. And I have heard about the Calcium too but the negative to too much Calcium could cause the possibility of kidney stones. Chinchillas need a 2:1 Calcium:phosphorus ratio in their diets.

I think that calcium, like a lot of things, can be beneficial when given in moderation. Yes, too much can cause stones, but how much is too much? That's the problem, we don't know.

Rich

So is it the Vitamin C or the combination of Vitamin C and calcium that helps? I just got off of the phone with the vet tech and she said that Polo has low potassium levels and she said the vet wants to put him on a Potassium supplement along with Vitamin C. I asked what causes the low potassium levels and the vet tech said she did not know but would ask him and let me know when I come to pick up his supplements. Any thoughts??

There are lots of things that can cause low potassium - I'd wait for your vet to weigh in on that. It could be as simple as dehydration upsetting his electrolyte balance.

I've read a lot of that research about the vitamin C, calcium, and vitamin D supplementation, and as long as it is done in proper amounts in consultation with your vet, it really can't hurt to try. Calcium and vitamin D are harder than vitamin C to supplement safely, because calcium HAS to be in a 2:1 calcium:phosphorus ratio, or you end up causing the same problem you are trying (theoretically) to alleviate from insufficient phosphorus instead of insufficient calcium. Take a look at what food you are giving, and have a chat with your vet about calcium supplementation. Most research indicates it is better to not have enough Ca & P (but in proper balance) than to have one in excess, so remember balance is essential. Supplementing both may also be an option. Vitamin D is also hard to supplement, because it is a fat-soluble vitamin, and can easily lead to toxicity if you give too much. I'm not a fan of indiscriminate supplementation, but if your chinchilla is having root elongation problems that you are reasonably sure will lead to a painful convalescence and eventually a difficult euthanasia decision, then careful supplementation is not going to do terrible damage and may give a chance of reversal. But remember the jury is still out, and there isn't enough evidence either way, so although it hasn't been disproved, it also hasn't got a lot of good evidence in favor of it. It will have to be your decision that you pursue in consultation with your vet. There aren't any real answers on this question yet.

Good luck!
Steph

It may be able to help, but that would depend on the type of Malo, nutritionally triggered malo maybe, but malo that is genetic will not likely be helped by a suppliment of any kind

Hi, I just saw this post and I just wanted to weigh in with my own personal experience in trying this method to possibly help my chins malocclusion. His first set of head xrays also showed the roots of his bottom teeth growing very close to the jaw line. I'm not trying to be a downer but as I said I just am speeking of what I went through with my chin. My vet filed all of his lower molars down. He was on critical care, vitamin C supplements and because he did not have a calcium deficiency there was no need to supplement for that. I believe I did the best I could but because at times he seemed like he was getting better because he was gaining weight, at the same time, when its genetic, you cannot see whats going on inside of him. His second set of xrays proved that, his roots were continuing to grow. Obviously, I had no choice and couldn't continue to let him live this way.

It may be able to help, but that would depend on the type of Malo, nutritionally triggered malo maybe, but malo that is genetic will not likely be helped by a suppliment of any kind

My Lily has nutritional Malo, I now know this because I have had Her about 9 months and at 1st She needed to have Her teeth trimmed every frew weeks and this last Vet visit the Vet was amazed at the change and didn't have to trim this time and it has been months!!

I guess Oxbow pellets, Timothy and the vitamin C from daily rose hips have made a big difference!!:)

(No telling what She was eating the first few years of Her life??)

My opinion is this: some animals can handle the pain caused by malo and some can not. unfortunately their weight will go up and down (up if your lucky) but in the end it really depends on the chin. also I might add that (from what i've read) that standards tend to do better then the hybreds. If the roots are even a hair over grown some chins just can't handle it and it is best to euthanize. I'm not saying this is the case with your chin but when I experienced malo. my vet said that you need to evaluate the quality of life verses the quanity of it. If the chin is living a good quality (happy, playing, bathing etc) and you want to try, then try but when all it is doing is merely being kept alive by you hand feeding etc and the animal is hunched over in the back of the cage then it's time to think it over and do what is right by the animal. I hope it works out for you. Good luck and i'm sorry.

Thank you everyone...and thank you Ann...Polo has not been doing well at all...he is barely eating and has an aversion to the syringe now. I went into the vet today...I am going to keep him through the weekend and we have an appointment on Monday, I am going to put him down. At this point his quality of life is not good and I don't want him suffering.

I know this will be one of the hardest things you will have to do (cause it was for me) but watching them slowly decline and go down hill is even worse. As unfortunate as it is you are probably doing the kindest thing for you both. I am soooooooo sorry. :(

I have used the calcium/vit C method on an entire HERD of chinchillas. Their first vet visit all 37 animals had mild or moderate malo, the 6 that were worse were put to sleep. I used the vit C/Calcium and by their next vet visit, a month later, the entire herd was either completely clear, or dramatically downgraded on the malo. I still have one of the animals here and he has been clear of malo going on 2 years now, and he was a borderline severe case. These -were- Food related mallocluders, not genetic, so it does definately depend on the case.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Polo... these are the hardest kinds of decisions we'll ever have to make. My prayers are with you.

Back