Chinchilla dehydration? Diet change?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

I recently came across a different, healthy chinchilla feed at one of my local pet stores and decided to give it a try. At first I gave Misty and Shadow a few pellets, to see if they would eat it. Misty absolutely loved it and started gorging himself almost immediately. Shadow came out later and had a bit as well. But, the next day, I noticed two things:

1) In the morning, the new food was the same as yesterday, untouched since the last time I'd seen it - which would mean they had eaten less than usual (maybe the pellets are more concentrated with this feed?). Weirder still, later in the day they seemed to have picked up several of the pellets and flung them out of their bowl (again untouched, not even tasted). I was later relieved to see Shadow eating a pellet, only it was a different kind - their least favorite food of all that they always avoided as best they could. Clearly, they had suddenly decided they didn't like the new food... Very odd, considering how they relished it earlier. Just regular chinchilla indecisiveness?

2) In the evening (when I was sitting with them) their droppings appeared smaller, thinner and possibly dryer than usual. I had heard them drinking from their water bottle at least seven times the previous evening, so I thought they may be dehydrated. I googled it and the description of mild dehydration seemed to fit, that and not eating enough. But it also matched talk of stomach and intestinal trouble. I decided the former was more likely. I changed to their regular feed (chucked all the remaining pellets), changed their water again (extra cool and refreshing), gave them both some fresh blackberry leaves to sooth their stomachs just in case (Misty ate, Shadow didn't) and finally gave them both grapes (unhealthy, yes, but good for rehydration).

I'm really worried (didn't sleep much last night because of it) that there might be something wrong. They haven't touched their regular feed but have had a little hay and ate the grapes. I think the poop situation may be improving but I don't know for sure. Should be concerned? Or even consult a vet, because I know dehydration can be very serious. But keep in mind visiting my vet is difficult. Any experienced answers would be welcomed tremendously.

Thank you to all who took the time to read, sorry for being so long winded.

I'm not an expert on this but from what I have heard switching diets cold turkey (without easing them into it) can cause gut issues which could lead to smaller poops and loss of appetite. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject will chime in. Hope your babies feel better!

Thank you very much for replying! Shadow seems OK and Misty has improved. But Misty is still producing pretty small droppings. I've made it my business to give him some raisins (good for problems like this, apparently).

I'm also a little nervous that they haven't been eating enough pellets. I've seen
Misty eating hay and they've been drinking and downing the raisins without trouble, but their pellets not so much. Some more advice would be welcome, just in case it's something serious.

It could have been the cold switch, but that depends on the quality of the feed, as I've switched from Mazuri to Oxbow, and Oxbow to Tradition without issue.

Chins should never have fruits or vegetables. Read through both pages of this thread. If Misty's displaying any of the symptoms of bloat, I would take her to the vet. Regardless, definitely no more raisins or grapes. I couldn't find much info on the blackberry leaves, so I'd cut them out of her diet until talking to someone more knowledgeable as well.

Gut issues are no fun! I hope she gets well soon!

Misty and Shadow are both eating now and are pretty much back to normal. It was probably just a little upset with the cold switch (I will never do that again, even though like you I've switched food before without issue) but I plan on booking a vet check up sometime soon. Not just because of what happened with the pellets, but also to consult him on the 'no fruits or vegetables business'.

I'm starting to get really frustrated with all the controversy on treats. The breeders I got Misty and Shadow (who are both male, BTW) from insist dried fruit like raisins are fine and said no more on the subject. There are plenty of people who agree with this, many of which say that fresh fruit is also safe on occasion, even beneficial. There are also a few who say vegetables are fine, but I think it's pretty obvious that they should be avoided. But most of the people on Chins n Hedgies disagree, saying even raisins are too sugary. That would mean all the information I've received, from professionals and unprofessionals alike, is split 50/50. That makes it very hard to decide what to do... I don't trust my judgement.

My original mentor, a man with over 2000 chinchillas told me "Don't kill your chins with kindness." He told me a good pellet, fresh water, good quality hay, and wood chews is ALL a chin needs. Anything else is what their people want. It's because of him that I use the phrase K.I.S.S. - keep it simple stupid. Adding fruits, veggies, raisins, cereal, Doritos and anything else people feed their chins is because THEY want to. It isn't because the chin wants or needs it. If they have never had it, how can they miss it? My chins are perfectly happy with what they receive. Of course it's cute to watch them run up and grab a treat and eat it. So give them something you absolutely know is safe - old fashioned oats, dried rosehips, wood chews, or a chin safe supplement. Too many people have had too many problems with feeding fruits and vegetables. People will argue and say "well they eat it in the wild." I doubt raisins are found in a chinchillas natural habitat. Also remember, a good quality chinchilla pellet is meant to give a chinchilla a balanced, well rounded diet. It isn't like foraging for food in the wild to meet their nutritional needs - you are by providing the good quality pellet.

That said, I do know of breeders who give their chins raisins at shows. They do it because chins can become stressed out during a show and the raisins keep them pooping. They don't give them at their homes on a regular basis, only at shows.

I think you're right tunes, it's best to keep them safe and avoid the fruits - even if they are safe, they are also unhealthy. I might give them a raisin every few months or so (they won't understand if their favorite treat suddenly 'vanishes') but other than that, I'll stick with rose hips and oats. I'll get the vets advice in addition, apparently he published a detailed study of chinchilla gastrointestinal health and diet.

But a man with 2000+ chinchillas, now that's experience!

It can be hard for a chinchilla to handle a complete different diet as we humans take a while to adjust to a new diet. Being a vegetarian my body doesn't digest meat very well at all. Speaking from experience :)

If you insist on feeding something like raisins.... please please please use craisins instead. Grapes and raisins are actually toxics to most mammals. Grapes can make dogs very sick.

I don't suggest using either. But if you insist. Please use craisins

I would not use any fruits or vegetables at all, dried or fresh. If your child wanted to eat something that had a 50/50 chance of making him very ill or kill him, would you let him have it? It's the same for the chinchillas. I would not risk it.

like others on here I wouldn't feed raisins, but if you insist on doing so, considering giving 1/10 of one. they get the flavor with less of the sugar/bad stuff that way at least.

Back