Covering up a cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godofgods

I just wanted to see if anyone had any better ideas before i started.

My male has a heart murmur and he starts having seizures any time he sees 'his girl' and cant get to her. As a result ive had to make sure he can never lay eyes on her again. :(

Since there cages are always next to each other i had taken some scrap fleece (years ago) and attached it to the girls cage on the side. That way they could not see each other. - At the top i cut little indents into the fleece so i could loop it around the top bar and latch it with a safety pin from the outside. I had to do the same to the bottom other wise the girls would pull the fleece into there cage which would create visual openings.

That piece has done well over the years. But when it comes time to letting them out it creates a problem. They live in the room they are let out in. (Or will be let out in. Haven't been out since i moved yet.) In the past i had always locked my boy chins on the second floor (blocking off the first floor) and had scrap fleece draped over the outside so they couldn't see out (or see in). - Attached the same way on the top. And when done i could folded it up a bit and lay it on the roof of the cage.

I was looking into making full covers (2 floor FN) for each side of the cage for both cages. I figured id go the same way, creating 4 sheets for each side and attaching them at the top with safety pins. But then sometimes they can see outa corners. So i was considering a solid piece horizontally all the way around, but i wouldn't know how to attach it.

Just curious as to how other ppl attach there's, or any ideas/suggestions to do so.

Photos of what i did a few years back with scrap.

Fleece_SideGirlsCage_zps92f2d5cc.jpg

^ The fleece attached to the side of the girls cage to make sure my males couldn't see them. It was two long scrap pieces of fleece attached together, then attached to the cage. Over the years its been taken down or moved a number of times. It never realigned perfectly when i had to put it back on, so its been cut up a few times to get it back on. So its by no means looking nice and aligned anymore. But it works!

Fleece_TopBoysCage_01_zps524abeab.jpg

Fleece_TopBoysCage_02_zps7e3da9c4.jpg

Fleece_TopBoysCage_03_zpsf0a9f915.jpg

You can see how the fleece folds up on the top where it is attached. Then i can store stuff on top of it. As well as how it looks when it is draped down over the cage.

i completely forgot about that. I had looked at it in the past. I might have some extra fleece, so maybe i was thinking about that and forgot' - Was going to make some liners for my boys but i rly dont need them since they are pretty good with using litter pans. My girls on the other hand.....

I cant rly hang anything over the play time area because that whole room is there play time area. Before i moved in here i built the room to be as safe as i could for a chin to play in. In the last pic youll see the wall covered in fleece with a poplar wooding used to attach it. Its like that all the way on each wall. And after seeing [this] - the wall of my last place, you can see why i wanted to do that.

QMC (http://qualitymutationchinchillas.com/fleeceitems.html) makes what she called a fleece cage backing and it clips on I believe.

She might be able to make something for you.

Is it possible when they are out to maybe hang a curtain of something around the playtime area?

205_CAGEBACK.jpg

Anyone know what she uses on the top of that fleece? I sent them a message asking a few weeks ago but i never got a reply.

I also just though of an interesting idea. Since i only use the fleece covers to cover the cage during play time it might come in handy. My boys cant get a look at the girls without major health problems, so the cage is covered up, but chins often like to grab fleece and pull it into there cages. This can create gaps that they can look out of. So i was thinking i could try making the fleece a half inch or so wider on each size and fold it back and sewing in a mini magnet that could attach to the FN edges. (If i could find a magnet small enough.) Might help some. The top would still have to be fully attached tho.

I don't sew but I just purchase fleece from Jo Anns to the size I need & just drape over the cages and/or carriers. I usually use the fleece when traveling with chins.

The black things are likely fleece strips cut and sewn on. The pear clips are the metal rings. You can also consider attaching grommets through the fleece.

Back