Hi from Ohio

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midevalmiss

HI!!! I am interested in getting a Chinchilla but wanted to talk to some Chinchilla owners before I get one. But first a little about me. My name is Megan and I just got married last year to my wonderful husband James, We are the happy parents of 2 dogs, 1 horse and lots of koi and fish. I also was the owner of 5 Hedgehogs but sadly the last one has passed, so after 12 years I find myself with out a small animal and was looking for a friend that has a longer life span. I know that hedgehogs and Chinchillas have different requirements and needs. I have spent a lot of time researching them but I know that the best way to know more about owning a pet is to talk to one of the owners. I keep my hedges on fleece and that seams to be ok with Chinchillas as well but I wanted to make sure, what the best bedding is, I am also wandering to know the best place to get a GOOD chinchilla. (no pet stores pets for me) I do live very close to a breeder, but am a little apprehensive of getting one of there baby's. They do shows and seam to do pretty well at them, but they are also a fur breeder, and that is what makes me nerves. How much time are they able to spend with the baby's to get them social, when they have hundreds of chinchillas to care for? Should I get a craigslist baby that has no pedigree but is used to be handled? I am also wanting to know the best way to choose an easygoing chinchilla that should hopefully bond with me. And yes I do know that sometimes they just wont bond, and can be hyper. I am also wanting to know what to expect for pricing. I am finding a HUGE range form 75 to 1,000 and I even was on one sight that wanted 13,000!! I was also hopping to get a list of the best foods and dust to use. Soo that is all for now but for some pics of my herd :)

First should be my male E-Che, second Tonja, then Gambit, Storm, and Rogue.

Attachments

• E-Che 2.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 32
  • Tonja.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 31
  • gambit.jpg
    gambit.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 11
  • storm.jpg
    storm.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 8
  • rogue.jpg
    rogue.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 7
Hello from nw ohio

Hi Megan,
Good Luck on your chin search. There are breeders in Ohio who sell to pet owners only. There is a breeders search on this forum. It takes time and patience to bond with a chinchilla of any age. I have a male and female who are different as night and day. The new owners thread has a lot of excellent advice.

Thank you for the warm welcome!!! I talked to the breeder that is by my home and I will be getting one of there little ones. They pretty much only breed for pets now, and I was very happy talking to them, about there chinchillas. I will not be getting one for a few months because my husband and I are moving soon and don't want to put the new little one of that stress.

Back