Male chinchilla anatomy

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNChinLover

Hello,
I was noticing that my guys have something sticking out, I think it is their foreskin or something else and not their penis.. but just want to check that this is normal and what part of the anatomy I am seeing!

I have included a pic of what I see if they lean forward, more on their front feet.

Attachments

• IMG_0759.jpg
    IMG_0759.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 35
Ok, is it normal to be sticking out? or does that mean they have a hair ring? They have been humping each other almost every night since I have had them.. I'm assuming over dominance and I have been pleased they are both being very peaceful about it and not getting into fights or anything.. they either take turns or run away from the other.

The breeder said Olaf was dominant right away (which I wouldn't be surprised as Sven was 7.5/8 weeks old when they were introduced and Olaf was 6 weeks older.. so almost twice the age.
However, Sven is more adventurous right away and so I could see as he gets older, him possibly becoming dominant.

But I have heard when chins are mounting each other they could get hair rings more frequently. I haven't really seen them look at themselves. And a male chin I had years ago had a hair ring because his penis, not just the foreskin, was hanging out.

The only way to find out is to do a hair ring check. But it's not hanging out...you would know because it would be sticking out engorged. But since you have a male you need to do regular hair ring checks regardless.

I attempted to do a hair ring check but it was the very first time I had grabbed and constrained them in my lap and I didn't want to stress them out too much the first time I officially grabbed and held them (instead of letting them just jump on my hand).

Also, when I was attempting they began to squirm so I stopped.. I don't know if they were just squirming or if I was hurting them..

I'm just really not sure how far to begin grabbing or how much pressure to put.. they are so tiny I don't like to put much pressure at all..

Youtube videos on how to do a hair ring check. I personally hold them so their back is toward me against my stomach but he is sitting on a counter or table (will depend on height of person obviously). My hand placed around the front of him so he doesn't bite and I quickly perform the procedure. It should take less than 1 minute if done right and regularly. One clue other than the dragging penis (sorry, don't know how else to say that...and honestly if it is dragging it is a pretty dire situation that needs to be addressed immediately) is that they are often down there cleaning themselves. So you can make notes of how often you see them. I typically worry if I see them doing that every day and I will check.

Back