Keeping females together

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

I'm wondering if once I wean the latest hoglets if I can put my 2 females in the 48x30" cage together until I'm ready to breed again. Then they'd both have tons of space instead of one going in to one of the small cages or back in to the 40g aquarium which is hard to clean. I know other breeders get multiple females out at a time to exercise and handle but can they live together given enough space?

You mean two adult female hedgies? Or two female hedgie babies from the same litter?

Two hedgie babies should be okay since they're used to being with one another. However, you'll need to provide them two of everything in case one (or both) gets the idea that this wheel is mine and I would rather kill or die than share it. You may be able to get by with one of each for a bit of time during their baby months, but I'd ensure there are two wheels, two hidey places, etc... Two adult females may or may not work. You'll need to introduce them to one another on neutral territory and see how they react. Provided it goes well there, you could try it out. And, especially for two adults, you'll absolutely need two of everything.

I tried reintroducing Sunoo to her daughter Adiso but Adiso was too pushy in the play pen and she's bigger than Sunoo. Sunoo was just trying to play tank with the toilet paper tubes and Adiso kept shoving in to her until she squealed. Eventually Sunoo found an escape route from the pen(she's very smart) and came over to sit on my leg while I zip tied more play pen panels together to make a bigger area. So they went back to separate cages for now. I don't know if the other female will work out better or not. She's a lot less active but grumpy and generally just sits in a ball the entire time she's out of her cage even if that's hours. She might keep to herself instead of harassing Sunoo like Adiso did. With time in the play pen Adiso might get over following Sunoo too. I'd like to at least be able to put all 3 females in the playpen so I have more time with everyone but I don't want Sunoo bullied. She's small for a hedgehog with a sweet personality so everyone is bigger and pushier than her.

Back