Playtime setup

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisse

My chin his cage is currently in the living room which is impossible to chinproof (in september he will be in my bedroom since I'm moving) and I currently haven't let him out for playtime yet, he is now 6 months old (a hetro beige chin).

He is very social and loves jumping on your hands to chill there for a while but the moment I try to pick him up (not with the tail) he jumps away and I cant really hold him since he is just sitting on my hands so I'm scared(and not going) to take him out the cage with him just sitting on my hands when he can jump of at any time and hurt himself.
Everyone advised my to just gently hold him but I cant get as far as holding him, and I would like to be able to hold him so if a vet trip is needed I can get him safely out of his cage.

But since I can't really pick him up I'm scared to let him out for playtime, I was planning to carry him to the bathroom and let him have playtime there but what that's impossible if I can't cary him, I currently have a carrier but it only opens on the top and he doesn't want to go in, so I'm planning to buy one that opens on the top and the side so in the carrier is also a problem.

So I was thinking about setting up a playpen in the living room and with a kind of staircase so he can climb in and out it on his own, but since there isn't much room around his cage the set up would be long but not wide.
And even then I would be scared that he will try to jump from his staircase over the playpen since the door of his cage is about 50cm from the ground. And what should I do if he doesn't want to return on his own?

Back