Chinchilla ripped toenail off while playing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone,

Last night my chinchilla somehow ripped her toenail off while she was out of her cage for playtime. I'm not sure how or why it happened, as I only noticed it when she jumped back in her cage after she was done. There's little bloody toe prints on the floor as well, so it's hard to determine when exactly it happened.

Anyway, she overall seems fine. The bleeding has stopped from last night and seems red and tender, but doesn't look infected. Her ears are her normal light pink and she isn't short of breath or showing signs of difficulty breathing. Right now she's been resting and hasn't been moving much, so I moved her food bowl up to where she's hanging out and moved her water bottle too. She's been drinking and eating and had a few sticks as well, so I don't think she's in too much pain. Last night I dabbed the toe with a warm, wet paper towel to get rid of the blood. Is there anything else I should do? I don't really have anything safe for her besides the bag balm I use on her feet.

Additionally, the reason why I think the toenail ripped off is due to our flooring. I live in a basement unit with my boyfriend, and our apartment either has veneer wood flooring, or it has something akin to concrete. I'm not really sure how to describe it, as it's not nearly as rough as concrete and has some sort of glossy finish atop it. I think she might have been running too fast and somehow ripped the nail off. Either way, the floor isn't good for her feet at this point and I don't want this happening again. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could make my floors safe for her? I can't put her in the room with the wood flooring, as that's our living room and has too much stuff to move. I was thinking of buying those attaching foam tiles that people put in their garages or in children's rooms, but wasn't sure if she would chew them or not. I figure if I put them around the entirety of the room she wouldn't notice it. She's never been one to eat things off the floor.

Back