Metacam dosage advice!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naenae81

My chin just had some dental work done. He had his bottle left incisor removed as it was broken just below the gum line. He also had some overgrown cheek teeth that was trimmed back to the correct contours. As per the vet, there are several cheek teeth with erosion in them - they are either resorption or cavities. These teeth can be painful, especially when the lesions are inflamed by oral bacteria. Treatment involves pain meds while these teeth grown out and are worn down.

My chin was given Metacam oral suspension to take. I am to give 0.3 ml by mouth every 24 hours longterm on a 1.5 mg/ml bottle of dog Metacam.

These are my concerns:

1. Is this too much of a dose prescribed for my chin that is only 480 grams. Can he overdose on it?

2. Would taking Metacam long term have any side effects?

3. Should I just give the recommended dose on the bottle of 0.3 ml/kg therefore 0.15 ml instead of the vet's recommendations 0.3 ml (which is double the dose). Will half the dose have any effect at all?

Great to hear everyone's feedback.

My chin had an infection in his mouth and he was given many medications, one of them being metacam. The veterinarian prescribed him .12ml every 24 hours. If your vet is an exotic vet I would trust him. Because my chin had other medications, the metacam dosage was smaller, being only one of the medications he had to take.

1. I do not think that your chin will overdose on the metacam, sometimes it takes that much to ease the pain. Seeing as your chinnie had a lot done in the mouth, there is much more pain than usual.

2. The thing that I do not know is if metacam will have long term side effects. I have only ever had a chin on metacam for a shorter time.

3. I would listen to your vet for now, seeing as your chin will need the painkillers. Depending on exactly how long you need your chin on the painkillers, you can start to ease him off at the right time, and only give him the recommended dosage.

The dosage is .05ml per 100g for chins. So at .3ml you are in the range since he is close to 500g. The extra .05ml is most likely because of the amount of pain he may be in.

Back