Flying with a Chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valeriep

My dad lives in a different state and I go to see him at least once every couple of months and I go to his house during 7 weeks of the summer. I would like to bring my chinnie with me, but I do not know if it would be a good idea since they do not like to be disturbed out of their natural habitat but I can't leave my chinnie alone with my mom. Is it safe to take my chinnie with me?

Good luck finding an airline that will let you travel with one.Next to impossible. Don't let them tell you they can fly in baggage either. No temperature control would be a death wish esp in summer. Breeders sometimes will ship chins but it is too expensive for the vast majority to afford.Chins are not allowed in passenger cabins either. I had to fly to New York, rent a car and then drive back home over a few days when I found a special chin that I wanted that was bred in Canada. I dunno ,maybe airlines have come to their senses and started allowing them with you in a carry on metal carrier.

Hi,

I've been pondering and researching the same question and didn't really find a whole lot of information. As far as I am aware, no airline allows chins in-cabin and not all allow them as checked baggage. But from the very few reports I saw, they seem to do ok'ish when travelling in the cargo department. This is usually temperature controlled when animals are on board, but I don't know to which temperature. I probably wouldn't fly if it's too hot outside, either, which may be tricky in summer...

I'm sure there're more people flying with chins (people ARE moving and it's a big country, breeders going to shows?), but it's really hard to find any information, so I'd also love to learn more about that.

Ankaa,

Like you, I have tried researching and when I find something, there are mixed answers. I have gotten plenty of replies but they are all back and forth on their answers so it is hard to decide what to do at the moment. I may try talking to an exotic vet.

there is always the less desirable method of driving the whole way. Not something i would be a fan of, but if that was the only option to keep my chins safe..

I've been wondering about this too as a just-in-case any moves come up in the future.

I found one breeder in Indiana who agrees to put chins on planes so long as the temperature conditions and everything else is in order:

http://www.nwichinchillas.com/shippinginfo.htm

I wonder if she might be able to give you some information about how airlines handle this if you got in touch with her? I'm guessing she has quite a bit of experience. If she does and you can share what she says, I think we'd all be grateful!

The other option would be contacting the airlines directly to see what they say. Given the recent press with some airlines and specifically their treatment of small animals though -- I don't know what they're going to tell you. :/

there is always the less desirable method of driving the whole way. Not something i would be a fan of, but if that was the only option to keep my chins safe..

Unfortunately, you can't drive everywhere.

Valerie,

it's been quite a while and I was wondering if you ever came up with an answer/solution?

Yes, I did and I decided that I will NOT be traveling with them on an airplane due to the high risks of death and because I know they will be very scared and timid. Thank you for checking in!

Just throwing in my two cents. I'm an airline pilot and my airline does not allow live animals in cargo. For good reason. Most aircraft cargo bins are not temperature controlled and if they are it's minimal. At altitudes the cargo can get well below freezing even in the middle of summer. Also, as a passenger you never know what else will be kept in the cargo bin and what hazardous materials.

I very highly advise to NEVER ship any live animal via airlines.

Back