Alternate Wheel - running carousel

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spodumena

What do people think about this running carousel?

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/552...e-running-carousel-in?ref=shop_home_active_13

Our chins have been steadily beating their 16 inch metal wheel into the ground. They run super hard at night and I'm wondering if this might be a good alternative for when we have to take it out/fix it/it needs to be replaced.

My only concern is that it seems to encourage the chin to run at an angle-- kind of curving around. I know wheels that are too small in diameter are no good for chins' backs -- do people think running at an angle like this might have bad long term affects in the long run? Any opinions would be much appreciated! :)

Here are some videos of chins running on them:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYYStCEg69w/?taken-by=jouets.pet

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQRiCtsD8pK/?taken-by=enocheffie

That looks interesting, but since it's glass I would be worried about something falling on it, my guys like to throw toys around. It's 35cm in diameter, which is the same size and looks like it works like the standard size metal flying saucer, only flat instead of at an angle so it might be ok, so long as you don't have really big chins.

The back problems from wheels that are too small are caused by the chin's back arching backwards, they aren't suppose to do that, it puts pressure on their spine. Turning slightly I don't think should be a problem unless they only run in one direction all the time, but I have yet to hear of a problem.

Thanks for the reply, Amethyst. We keep all the chins' pumice toys/floor toys on the levels' floors since I'm always worried about them conking each other on the head... So I don't think them shattering the glass should be a problem. Think my guys have finally stopped gaining weight -- c.750g for a chin isn't very big, I don't think...?

Might give it a try... I'm always amazed at what daredevils chins are. They like to balance on willow/cardboard-pulp tubes until they roll over and then hop on again and again. I think they might like this type of thing...

I know what you mean about worrying about conking each other on the head. If the toy is light enough or chewed down to a small enough piece, I've seen them carry them on to shelves. I've also seen them intentionally push wood pieces out of the cage to hit one of my cats on the head. :facepalm:

Both my guys are around 650g and I have the standard size flying saucer, and they fit on it fine, so your guys should fit fine. When I say really big, some chins can tip the scales at around 1kg or more, not fat, just big.

. I've also seen them intentionally push wood pieces out of the cage to hit one of my cats on the head. :facepalm:
Hahaha! Oh dear... Maybe the cat deserved it?

Both my guys are around 650g and I have the standard size flying saucer, and they fit on it fine, so your guys should fit fine.
Thanks. That puts my mind at ease. We keep trying to fix the wheel, but they manage to do something to it that really makes it rattle at night. If they'd just run at a gentle pace, this wouldn't be an issue. But one of them really runs like a little monster... *sigh*

Back