Pyometra

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheri7

I noticed my 10 year old girl Annie had a white discharge yesterday so I took her to the vet today and she was diagnosed with Pyometra. They did a swab which showed bacteria and white blood cells, an ultrasound and xrays which didn't really show much. Other than the discharge she has been acting normal, eating, pooping etc. The vet prescribed 7 days of Baytril .6ml dose 2x a day.

Has anyone had any good outcomes with just antibiotics? The vet thinks surgery on a 10yr old would be risky and recommended we start with the antibiotics and hopefully that will clear it up.

I'm concerned because most of what I'm finding says it can't be cured and surgery is necessary so trying to find out others experience and if anyone was cured with antibiotics alone.

All information and experiences are welcome.

Thank you!!

I have had no good outcome with just antibiotics. The one time I tried, she died. So now I just insist on spaying and putting them on a course of antibiotics after.

It's one of those rock and hard place decisions. Not all chins do well with surgery, but in my experience it's rare for a chin to survive without it when it's involving pyometra. Keep in mind too, your chin is already not feeling well due to the pyometra. Giving her Baytril is going to compound her not feeling well. Baytril often causes chins to stop eating and drinking because it's a strong antibiotic. You need to be vigilant in making sure that she is eating, drinking, peeing, and pooping after she is on the Baytril. Many people have had to resort to hand feeding when using that particular antibiotic.

Thanks for the response. Obviously not the answer I was hoping to hear. I ordered some critical care and it should arrive tomorrow so I can supplement with that.

Day 5 on the Baytril and she is doing great. [knock on wood}
She's still eating, pooping and running around like normal. She puts up a fight when getting her meds but doesn't seem to hate me anymore than usual lol. After I give her the Baytril I give her some oats which she happily eats and that seems to stimulate her appetite. She's only lost 10 grams which isn't bad. She did not like the critical care so I gave up on that and just hand her hay and pellets and usually she will take it.

I'm hopeful that the antibiotics may do the trick. I am taking her back to the vet on 12/28 so they can take another swab and see if any infection is still present. Will see what happens from there.

another thing to give her after the Baytril is baby gas drops - a full dropper full. They love the taste and it helps the digestive system. Also if you need to syringe feed (hopefully now that she is eating you don't have to) is to grind up (use coffee grinder) her pellets fine add water and a little pumpkin puree (pure pumpkin and pumpkin only) to a thin pudding consistency

Well it's over 2 weeks since she finished the Baytril and she seems to be doing fine [knock on wood]. Don't want to jinx anything. No sign of infection, she is her normal self. Still keeping a close eye on her for anything unusual, but hopefully we have beat this.

She's a funny little girl. Hates to be touched with a passion and even more so now, but she never stopped eating and took the Baytril like a champ, lost some fur in the process but she's doing really well. When she surfed off me the other day I thought 'she's back'.

Thanks

Back