Moving Soon

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schweppes

Gonna move across country in March. Two of us are planning on driving 3 chinchillas, two of which refuse to get along, and a cat from New York to Nevada. I was looking into Ryerson's 3 hole chinchilla carrier, but the pictures are so small I can't tell what it looks like. Are the walls between fenced or solid? Would I need a couple collapsible cages for breaks or should they be fine in the carrier cages for 30 or so hours with ac and food/water stops? will stop to let the cat stretch his legs and use the litter box and eat and offer the chinchillas food and water while i'm at it every 4-5 hours. gonna try and stop at my aunt's house in colorado to put them in a bigger cage to run around a bit and to have somewhere to sleep without worry about the animals.

If anyone has a better picture of the Ryerson carriers that would be greatly appreciated.

Any advice is more than welcome.

I was also only able to find tiny pics of the Ryerson carriers, but since they are used for transporting chins to shows, so you want the chins to look their best, I would assume they have a solid divider.

Also, to give you another option, Quality cage sells carriers that are divided too https://qualitycage.com/products/single-cavy-carrier?variant=34224036996. They also sell collapsible travel cages, if you don't want to set up their normal cage if you stop overnight.

I would wait until you stop for the night, or get to your destination to put them into larger cages. You don't want them escaping on the side of the highway when you are trying to switch between carriers and cages.

I would just keep them in a Ryerson carrier for the entire trip. People who travel to shows have theirs in the carriers for a few days sometimes. I use fleece pads in mine others use shavings. give them a handful of hay in it to munch on during travel and hang a water bottle on the cages at night with some pellets.The chins will probably sleep during the drive. Don't use the water bottles on the cages while traveling though because they will leak and cause a big mess. Don't forget if heat is a concern aka car breakdown, keep ice packs/frozen water bottles, handy in case needed. Oh and I like to take a bottle of their usual water from home to use for their drinking! Just like horses traveling they can be finiky about different waters. Safe travels. With the cat take extra care during the drive some go kinda bonkers and are bad to escape if out of their crate no matter what their usual behavior is,

That's great! Will certainly be less stressful to know I can keep them there the whole trip.

Pretty soon they're going to be more traveled than people I know. Will be crossing 11 states.

The cat loves cars and being outside so I'm not too concerned about him. Have a harness that he's going to have put on at the begining so I can take him out for stops.

Last edited:
Back