Help! New hedgehog owner and babies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henrie01

Hi! So my husband and I just got a hedgehog yesterday. She seemed grumpy yesterday when we were playing with her but figured it was because she was just getting used to us. After a while, she was really bonding with my husband. Anyways, my husband went to check on her today and noticed she had 3 babies (from what he could quickly see). We don't know much about hedgie babies, but we knew not to 1) stress mom out and 2) touch the babies.

We have taken the wheel out of her cage, added wet kitten food to her dry food, moved our chinchilla out of the room, and making sure the room stays between 72-80 degrees. We have read to only go in for feeding and changing water once a day for the first 2 weeks to decrease the stress on mom. As hard as it was, we only went in to change food once after finding out she had babies. Babies seem to be doing great and mom seems to be feeding them.

However, we didn't have a nest in the cage as we didn't know we would need one. Should I add something to her cage? Will a new thing in the cage stress her out?

Anything else we need to know about hedgie babies? We aren't getting our hopes up that they will survive as we know they eat them, especially first time moms. Just trying to do whatever we can to prevent it!

Back