Any hedgehog breeders in NJ?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnimalLover87

I am looking to adopt some hedgehogs. Was wondering if anyone close to me in NJ actually knows of a breeder or breeds them, themselves?

When you're considering a breeder, take awhile and get to know them/their breeding practices. See if their recommendations on hedgie care line up with generally accepted hedgie care standards.

There are a good number of reputable breeders out there, but there are many more backyard breeders who are in it for not so good reasons - like money or because hedgies are "cute." There are people who do not fully understand the need to carefully research their breeding pair's genetic history and will breed pet store hedgies or rescues of unknown heritage together.

Agreed there's not a perfect correlation between, say, registration with IHA, being USDA certified, and producing perfectly healthy hedgies free of genetic conditions vs not being on an "approved" list of breeders, being unregistered and uncertified and producing sick hedgies. But, if you have a choice (ie, if you're not attempting to rescue a hedgie that you already know is in trouble), I'd strongly recommend looking for, and supporting, those breeders who are really in it to improve the hedgie lines. To me, it's absolutely worth it to drive a couple hundred miles to get a hedgie from someone who's had a long & solid history of breeding hedgies than to get one from someone close by who doesn't really seem to have it all together.

In short, some things to look for:
If they are breeding several (I believe it's 3 or more) female hedgies, are they USDA certified?
Are the hedgehog registered with IHR?
How long has the breeder been breeding hedgies?
What does the breeder know of their hedgies' lineage?
When you look at their website/talk to them, are their recommendations for how you should care for your hedgie in line with things you see posted here on CnH or other reputable sites? -- Consider, for example
- cage size
- what type of kibble to feed your hedgie
- what kind of cage and bedding
- how to keep your hedgie warm
When you see their facilities, are they clean?
When you see the hedgies, are they clean? Bright eyes? Clear skin? Noses that aren't dripping, no sneezes, etc...

Thanks Smhufflepuff.

And yes, I have been doing some of those things such as the things they recommend for us. I looked at someone who had a cage you could buy with a wheel and the wheel wasn't a solid surface, so I kept looking.

I'll be sure make a mental list of those things when I'm ready to get a hedgehog!
Thank you for all the advice everyone!

Back