pregnancy help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penelopepoo

I think our hedgehog is pregnant. We took her home at 10 wks and she has been gaining weight consistently. We were unsure if this was due to pregnancy or normal growth since she is still young. She is now just over 12 wks. She is still gaining, but in smaller increments so we thought maybe she is not pregnant. However, while bathing her, we noticed 2 rows of very small teats. Not sure how long they have been there as this is the first we have noticed. Do hedgehogs always have teats that are more swollen during pregnancy or if we see them is she definitely pregnant?

It can be exceedingly difficult to tell if a hedgie is pregnant just by looking at her. And, at 10 weeks, discerning between is this normal weight gain vs pregnancy weight is going to be pretty much impossible. All hedgies do have nipples, so that's normal.

Here's what I'd do: I'd consider it possible that she's pregnant. Per HHW: Typical gestation is 35-38 days, HOWEVER, you need to prepare for possible delivery anywhere from 30 days from first breeding chance to 50 days from last breeding date. So, figure that she could give birth between about 30 days since she turned about 6 or 7 weeks old and 50 days from the day you brought her home.

Take some time and read up on things. I'd recommend the articles posted in the stickies her on CnH and the info on HHW:
http://www.hedgehogworld.com/content.php?216-Breeding-stage-1-Conception-to-28-days-gestation
http://www.hedgehogworld.com/content.php?217-Breeding-Stage-2-28-days-gestation-2-weeks-post-birth

At best, she's not pregnant and, after you read through everything, you'll know a lot about hedgies. Info is always good :) At worst, she is pregnant (never good to be a super-young momma hog), but you'll be prepared.

Was there anything at the breeder/pet store/place she came from that feels more or less worrisome/reassuring about a possible pregnancy? For example, if she came from a long-standing breeder with good practices (say, like Nancy on this forum), I wouldn't be worried about pregancy. But, from other sorts of places, I might be more concerned.

Back