first bath

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

The hoglets were getting dry skin so they got their first bath and oiling. Water was eventually fun but being scrubbed with oatmeal was not and rinsing made them even more unhappy. Then there was the horrid oil which made them all twitch and more scrubbing to get it down to their skin. They were rather unhappy hoglets when returned to their cage. Maybe we can have funner baths when they don't need so much dry skin treated.

I've taken a more subtle approach with baths and applying oil.

Unless they have messies (poop, food, etc...) crusted on their quills, I don't scrub. Instead, I just have the oatmeal water (ie, water with a bit of colloidal oatmeal in it) in a tub, put down and washcloth, let them walk around in it, and get a little scoop to pour the water over their backs.

Then, in terms of oil, I like flaxseed oil. It does a good job of moisturizing, spreads out well on it's own, and isn't as sticky as other options, like vitamin e. I get a capsule, puncture it (typically with a quill that's fallen off - it's convenient), and put maybe 2-3 drops on each hedgie's back - each drop in a slightly different location. You can part the quills with your fingers, then squeeze out a drop of oil from the capsule. Sometimes, though, if they're huffy, I just aim for a spot and squeeze out a bit more -- letting it slide down the quills onto their skin on its own. Recheck in a couple days... and apply another couple drops as needed.

Long story short: glad your little ones are clean and you're tending to their dry skin. Given that they were displeased, aim for a more subtle approach on the next go-around :)

Grey and cinnamon mostly just took it in stride except for flinching at the oil. Salt and pepper was a ball after being dried and when being oiled. Albino had issues with just standing in water. Probably because like it's mom it lives as a ball and it couldn't do that in water. Jeez their mother is huge and heavy. It's like picking up a small prickly bowling ball. Loki is nowhere near her size at the same age and sunoo is even smaller than that but may have some growing up to do.

I too use flaxseed oil. I don't apply it directly unless we have had bare skin patches from other known causes, but I don't see any issue with that approach. I find it a little easier to squeeze a full capsule into a cup of warm water, stir very well (so that the oil drops break up) and pour over their back.

And I definitely agree to avoid scrubbing, just gently pouring the oatmeal water over their skin seems to soothe them. That being said I have had one hedgie who reacted badly to oatmeal, but she had many issues.

Last edited:
Back