waiting

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

ahhhh I thought rabbits and horses were bad but waiting on hedgehogs is worse since it's such a risk. Cinni's first due date is in a week. :bliss::hair: She's so round she got stuck on her back in the bedding when I put her in the cage accidentally upside down last week. She's got a covered igloo and nice thick aspen shavings that she loves burrowing dents in to for sleeping. Anything else she needs for nesting? Hedgie bags were supposed to arrive and haven't so I can't give her that option.

Horses are pretty bad though since it's an 11month wait for a several $1000 animal but at least you don't have to do anything except provide correct feed and enough space for birthing. They don't nest and rarely harm their young or get too stressed. You just have weaning day to deal with 4-6months later.

I'll take rabbits. They breed in front of you, you mark the date down, and within 24hrs of that date 9 times out of 10 they have their young and after the first time usually correctly in the nest box. They do tend to mess up that first time and have them on the wire but you can breed back immediately and have them try again in 32 days without wait. They rarely cannibalize or abandon a litter.

We have hoglets and that's about all I have to report since I can't see them. Just squeaking and cloth moving over the nest. Cinni made a rather ingenious tunnel and nest system out of her igloo cover that she pulled off her igloo and collapses the tunnel part whenever they are sleeping during the day then opens it at night to come and go. Not what I intended but she did a good job. So long as there aren't too many hoglets in there it should hold up until they start coming out.

It's been more than 3 weeks and there was some distressed squeaking last night so concerned we hadn't seen hoglets yet I opened up the nest. Then I couldn't resist quickly stealing this from around an angry popping mother hedgehog.
X7chMcK.jpg

Back