Rejected Baby Hoglet

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TattooMommy

My Female Hedgie had a large litter of 5 little Hoglets yesterday. This morning as I walked past the cage, Pinky (the Hedgie mom) runs up to the side of the cage with a baby in her mouth! At first I thought she was just moving him around the cage, then I noticed her running around the cage for about 20 minuets, dragging the baby through bedding, and running into the side of the cage with it :( The baby was head first in her mouth the whole time...after about 15 minutes, she runs to me at the side of the cage, and drops the lifeless baby in the bedding, and returns to her nest.
Thinking it was surely dead, I scooped him out with a spoon and placed him in a shoe box. He wasn't moving, breathing, anything..

I started rolling him back & forth with the spoon, refusing to believe the worst had happened.. and eventually he took what I thought was his last deep breath of life. Still not moving, I left the box alone, and thought of where I should bury the poor thing. :cry3:

About 5 minutes later I came back to the box, just to make sure. I rolled him back & forth one last time, and to my surprise his little feet started moving!!!

So now, I am fostering this little guy, feeding him every 2 hrs with KMR, stimulating his digestive track, & bowel movements. He is doing very well for the once blue, lifeless, helpless Hoglet he was.

Good ending to what I thought was going to be a very sad morning! Thought Id share :):wave4::wave4:

Attachments

• IMAG0201.jpg
    IMAG0201.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMAG0199.jpg
    IMAG0199.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMAG0216.jpg
    IMAG0216.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 84
Oh my! Prayers for your precious baby! Such a long road yet. Bless you for for the tremendous effort you are giving to preserve his life.

Unfortunately my little guy (Koopa) Lost his fight later that afternoon :( He must have had some kind of defect that his Mommy could sense..
He went comfortably, with a full belly, all warm & cozy.

Sadly, babies at that age do not usually survive when being hand reared. Sometimes there is no replacement for a mother.

RIP little one.

Back