Marking babies...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vampira_666

I was just wondering when I'll be able to mark the babies & what I should use to do so? They will be 3 weeks old tomorrow & I've been handling them regularly now (without any issues from mom). They all have their eyes open now and are starting to move around a bit. but... I have a dark boy & 3 albino females and I'd like to be able to tell who is who, since they all look so similar.
Thanks kindly in advance!

Here's a few pictures(from a few days ago) for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• group1.jpg
    group1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 48
  • boy1.jpg
    boy1.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 48
  • girl1shy.jpg
    girl1shy.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 42
  • girl1nose.jpg
    girl1nose.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 41
  • girl1eyes.jpg
    girl1eyes.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 45
I've seen a variety of answers for this over the years. Some use non-toxic finger paints, non-toxic fabric paints, finger nail polish etc. I think if I were to do it I would opt for the non-toxic paint for kids that will wash out eventually.

It all depends on how permanent you want the color to be. I have 2 right now that have paint on their quills still, both are over 2 years old. Rose had a couple of green quills until she was 4.5 years. They do keep some of their quills quite a long time, and using a non-water based paint could mark them permanently.

I've seen a couple whose breeders globbed the paint on so thick that the quills get stuck together when the paint dried. And they used a non-water based paint so it was a real chore to get the quills to separate.

They are growing up so fast, and are just super adorable. Have you started to look for homes yet? Those albino girls are just melting me...

Thanks for the info. Flower (mom) has a green spot in her quills still also, that won't wash out. I think I will use something slightly more permanent so mom can't "wash" it off on me (maybe I'll try some acrylic paint -as it's non toxic but more permanent than a water based paint, or I can try my daughters (kid safe) nail varnish) And I only want to mark a few quills (just enough to tell them apart).

They are growing up way to quickly. So cute & getting so big! I have indeed started to look for homes for them. One will be staying here & the others have new homes lined up already with friends and family! One will be going to my original breeder (not breeding anymore) of my first hedgehog Marigold (as pet only of course), one will be going to a wonderful lady I met online a few months ago who just adores hedgehogs & the other is suppose to go to my cousin... but I'm just waiting for him to fill out my questionnaire to make sure they will have a suitable home for her

Last edited:
Back