Pregnant Hedgie

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmc

Is there any way to know for sure if a hedghog is pregnant? I recently aqquired a six month old and she seems exceptionally big compared to my past girls. When my husband picked her up she was in a cage with another female and a male. I don't know how long she was in the same cage with the others, but if she is pregnant then I want to make sure we do everything we should.
In two weeks she has gained 60 grams. She is fed about two - three tbls of food a day. She doesn't run on the wheel, so I take her out and let her run around the room, but she just finds a spot to curl up in and go back to sleep. It doesn't matter what time of day it is this is what she does everytime.
Thanks for any info you can give me.

DMC

Not really. Sometimes you will notice weight gain, and nipple elongation, and sometimes you won't notice much at all.

Weight gain at her age could simply be that she is still growing or filling out. However, at her age, and the fact she was exposed to a male, I would treat her as if she is pregnant and continue to do so for the next 55 days. Typical gestation is only 35-37, however there have been some carry as long as 55 days.

Thanks! She is so much bigger than my other girls when they were full grown. I just want to make sure we don't do anything that could hurt her or the babies if there are any.

Back