Babies!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehedgieherd

Proud Pet Parent
Moonstone and Opal both popped during the hurricane on the 28th. As if I didn't have enough going on that night! Opal has five, Moonstone had SIX. SIX?!

Moon's babies are so varied in size it is frightening.

Moonstone's strange hoglet sizes.

Is this normal? These are Moon's 9 day old babies.. you can see they are cinnamon pintos like her. Or cinnicot pintos.

306341_2392840900661_1240065465_2945616_836839_n.jpg

Wow, they sure do look different in size. Having never bred hedgies, I have no idea how common that is. Either way, pretty amazing.

I'm not sure I'd characterize their colors on an official basis yet - as they are known to change as the little ones grow and go through quilling.

Watching like a hawk.

I am paying very close attention to them. I found a few forum posts and a blog where others have dealt with the extreme size difference so I DO feel slightly better, but until they are 8 weeks old and weaned I am going to worry myself silly.

I know their colors could change several times, their lines are mostly cinnamon so it didn't surprise me to see that color swirled through them. In Opal's babies you can tell which ones are going to be dark like her and which ones will look like Fenris' cinnamony line.

It's going to be interesting, that much is certain.

With that much of a size difference, it would be a good idea to either be supplemented, or pull the larger ones for a half hour or so every so often to allow the tiny ones to get more milk. With a size difference like that, the big ones will shove the tiny out of the way and hog all the milk.

You can also give mom some goats milk to help with her milk production.

Have you weighed the babies?

Sorry for the delayed response. I never got my email notification. x.x! Yes, I have been supplementing Moonstone. She has been VERY aggressive toward any hands anywhere near the pile of the babies so I did not want to push her. Everyone is gaining weight and the two little ones seem to be doing fine. Today, I held them all as Moon took her first break across the cage. They are 14 days old, slightly furry and their eyes are half way open. This little one in my hand is ALL over the cage exploring all ready. I'm so proud.

311980_2413618100078_1240065465_2964683_36530785_n.jpg

Congrats! I'm glad the littlest ones are doing well :) Now that mine at nearing 6 weeks I have one that is tiny compared to the rest - she doesn't want the "big girl food". Its stressful worrying about the little hoglets, but well worth it!!
I hope your little ones keep growing and doing well!!

Back