My first chin sneezes a lot and wipes his nose

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this unusual? I only got him today, and he seems to sneeze once every hour. This also might not be a sneeze, just a squeak that I don't understand yet? He also looks like he is wiping his nose with his paw, though he might be just brushing it or even scratching. I want to give this buddy the best life possible, and if something is going wrong from the start I'd love some advice! Thanks much!

Well it's little to go on, so I'll start with the least worrisome possibility. Did you give him a dust bath today? If so he could have just gotten some dust in his nose. Dust baths should only be left in the cage for about 10-15 minutes or so, long enough to take a bath but not so long that it starts getting soiled in. Also if given inside the cage there could be left over dust on everything as he is sniffing around the cage he might sniff up some here and there. Another possibility is allergies, some chins are allergic to pine shavings for example.

Watch for any discharge from his nose, the nose should be dry not wet at all. Also listen for any sign of labored breathing or wheezing, all those are signs he needs a vet.

Checkup

we had our first checkup with the vet today and he is a perfectly healthy little dude, he just happens to have a sensitive nose!

Back