Keeping pellets in the food bowl

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trish57

Every morning when I get up, there are a lot of pellets on the cage floor near the bowl. It almost looks like they are digging them out, because the pellets remaining in the bowl are always sloped. Are they trying to get to better pellets? I put their food bowl in another bowl, so that does contain some of the mess. Do they not like their bowl and I should look for something else?

Also, a few weeks ago, they MOVED the pellet bowl into the hidey house doorway! Does that mean they want their food in the hidey house?

Thanks!

as I mentioned before Chins love to burrow Whatever bowl you use they will do that. As for moving the bowl chins love to 'decorate' how they want. As I said yet a dish 'bowl' that attaches to side of the cage. I use a ceramic 'dish' found in the parrot section in Petsmart - it has a hood and attaches to the side of the cage

I know. I'm just trying to minimize the mess when I clean up the poop. (I'm saving that for fertilizer in the spring LOL)

Hmmm, they don't have that on their website. My local PS is small, but I will check it out this weekend. Until then, I just put a bigger bowl underneath it.

My chin just became active in that department. At first he would brush aside only the grass he didn't want to eat (picky). Now he pushes out ALL of the grass and leaves the pellets, then (sometimes) goes back to pick through the discarded grass. And he dish never stays in one place while eating. he'll push it around the cage several times a day. Its fun to watch because he never used to do that.

My chin just became active in that department. At first he would brush aside only the grass he didn't want to eat (picky). Now he pushes out ALL of the grass and leaves the pellets, then (sometimes) goes back to pick through the discarded grass. And he dish never stays in one place while eating. he'll push it around the cage several times a day. Its fun to watch because he never used to do that.

Ok found it on F&S - 10 or 24 oz? I'm thinking 10 but want to make sure

Back