Hedgehog baby bloated!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lalalollipop

I posted earlier about her not pooping that well and got no replies and now she looks really bloated!
Any way to get rid of the bloat please?
She was born on 8/7/12
I have been hand raising this hedgehog. She was the only baby that I was able to save from a litter of 5.
I need to feed her but don't know if I should now since she is so bloated.
Please help. I am really worried.

I just read "KMR makes them bloat, then comes the internal bleeding, then they die. I have had the best luck with puppy esbilac with just a few grains of crushed lactaid. If you see any sign of bloating, give them just a drop of baby gas drops containing simethicone."
I am gonna get some simethicone drops and am wondering what the crushed lactaid is all about and how much to use. Please respond soon cause I need to go to the store. She is extremely bloated looking. Poor thing.

We have contacted experienced hedgie breeder/owners in homes of getting ahold of one of them to help you. Hopefully they will be to this thread soon with advice. In the mean time I would try calling some exotic veterinarians that are experienced with exotics and hopefully they can offer some help. If you tell us where you are located, we can try to find some suggestions for a good vet.

My direct knowledge of baby hedgie care is limited (my youngest hedgie was already 6 weeks when she came home). However, I do have solid knowledge of reputable sources of information and recommend these to you:

http://hedgehogcentral.com/handfeed.shtml
it covers handfeeding and bloat.

the Yahoo group: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/BreedersHelpingBreeders/
"This is a place where new and old breeders alike come together to share experiences with breeding hedgehogs. If you join, you as a breeder should be willing to acknowledge that all breeders make mistakes. Like most things in life, the solution is what's important, not the mistake. We come together here on this list to come up with a solution to the problem created by the mistake, find out how the mistake happened and work on solutions (again) to ensure the mistake does not repeat itself. WE are not here to judge, only to help.
This is also a list where long time more experienced breeders make ourselves available to new breeders who need immediate help and guidance. We are available so that you hopefully will not have to experience any mistake that we might have made from not having support available from more experienced breeders."

Hopefully, of course, one of our experienced hedgie breeders will be able to respond here soon too!

don't feed her till the bloat is gon. that'll kill her faster than being hungry a few extra hours. i had issues getting mine to pee and poop i found dipping them in a n a semi warm cup(just there buts and only on the tough ones to make go) helps a lot.

Back