New Chin-Dad here

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tatxen.

Hello! Im Tatxen and im about to adopt a little boy that i called Pepper! We haven´t officialy met yet (obviously i have followed his growth along with his parents owner and i helped with everything needed) still Pepper have never sniffity snif me and I'm a little bit scared. I tryed to search for tips of introducing yourself to a chinchilla and the only clear thing I have clear is that i have to give him plenty of treats :hilarious: .

Do you have any other advice?

When can I set play time out of the cage for him? Can I do it the very next day or should I wait a couple days? :hmm:

First thing is be patient, you need to build a bond. Sit and talk to him, read aloud, sing, play music and watch tv. You can give him pets when he lets you, most like chin scratches. You can give him chew stick every time you come in the room, so he starts associating you with getting something.

How old will Pepper be when he comes home? It sounds like you are getting a young chin. Kits under 6 months should really not have playtime at all, they can over heat, have a dangerous drop in blood sugar (causing seizures, coma, and/or death), as well as they can exhaust themselves, and really should be using energy for growing.

Same thing with treats, under 6 months no treats either, they should only be given good quality pellet only food and hay. You can use chew sticks and hay pieces as "treats" though. A kit should be eating primarily alfalfa hay with some timothy, but other kinds of hay can be given as well as treats.

Woah, haven't tought about it!.... Well he's been born on April 9th, so yes, he's really young (the woman who i'm adopting him from told me that he already eats by himself and really growed out of the mother essential needs(?))
Thank you for your tips and advice, ill have them in mind!
Pd: Sorry for my poopy english :C

Kits can be easier in some ways to bond with, so long as the breeder was nice. You are working with a clean slat, no neglect or abuse, so they only know humans as good things or at least no bad. Also by the time he is old enough for playtime you should have established a good bond with him. Just to be clear, "no playtime" does not mean you can't hold him and let him climb on you, just no actual running around.

Kits can be easier in some ways to bond with, so long as the breeder was nice. You are working with a clean slat, no neglect or abuse, so they only know humans as good things or at least no bad. Also by the time he is old enough for playtime you should have established a good bond with him. Just to be clear, "no playtime" does not mean you can't hold him and let him climb on you, just no actual running around.

Hi! I finally got him and Pepper is pure LOVE I letted him out of his cage a little(chin-safe space of course) he got a little dust bath and he was climbing on me all the time!!!!
My only little concern is that he's not drinking watter, I know they drink little but still...

Back