Weighing your wiggly chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essentia

Jax Chinchilla Rescue
My new little boy has no problem being weighed, but my first Chin wants nothing to do with it. I've tried a shoe box, a coffee can (with the top off), a pillow case, treats...nothing works. He wiggles and tries to get away. How do you weigh your wiggly chins? I have yet to get a good weight on him.

I currently just put them in a basket and put my hand over it (just as a cue) so they know to stay.

If they're really wiggly I put them in a show cage and weigh them. I've seen the big ranchers do this too.

give him a good treat that he has to hold...like a toy. My boys will only sit for willow balls :rolleyes: I wish they were as easy as my girls...

Or maybe you could try a dust bath??? Don't put any dust in it and make sure it is stable because he probably will roll....

don't know if that would really work but it was just an idea that popped in my head:confused:

1) Scoop chin into closeable box (we use a Sam's Club poptarts box with the flaps still on it) with a treat or chew inside.
2) Hold flaps down with flat hand without actually pushing on the box.
3) Set whole contraption on scale and quickly record weight.
4) Free chinchilla and reclaim chew/treat.
5) Weigh box + chew/treat and subtract that total from the first weight.

I tried the dust bath as well, and all he did was roll around in it (it was empty). I need to get a lightweight carrier as my scale only goes to 5 lbs and I will try that next. I saw they have little ones (though large enough for a chin) in the pet store. I have his larger carrier but that just gives him even more room to wiggle.

Even with no dust in it, if there is even a trace of dust they will roll.

Use a 5 gallon ice cream bucket with holes in the lid, give the chin a treat and close the lid, remember to tare the scale so the weight of the bucket is not added.

I use some cheap digital scales, place inside the cage and bribe the Chin to sit on it. if you give them something it will take a while to eat, such as a dried apple leaf, they usually (9 out of 10 times) stay still enough to get a reading.
It also has the bonus of them seeing the scales and running to get on them....

OH OH, I like the ice cream bucket idea. Darned that I threw the last one out. I'm gonna do that.

Currently, I have a tall box that I weigh them in.

I too use a big tupperware container with holes in the lid. The chin goes in, gets his rosehip piece and sits while I weigh, I do put the lid on lightly as sometimes the treat doesnt always work.

Fuzzy used to be trained to just get in the weigh bowl and sit, but he has decided he is too cool for that method anymore.

I usually put them on the scale and then cover them with my hands until they calm down and when I move my hands they sit still for a couple seconds... I do it a couple times too to get accurate results.

Use a 5 gallon ice cream bucket with holes in the lid, give the chin a treat and close the lid, remember to tare the scale so the weight of the bucket is not added.

This is the same method I use. I found it works best since the chins can't jump around that much.

I use the flat kitchen type of scale. Pretty large surface so there is plenty of room for his chubby little butt. I sit him on it and hand him his shredded wheat biscuit. He is more than happy to sit still and eat his treat. Try giving that a go, works like a charm everytime for me.

Back