What the heck is this?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trish57

I wasn't really sure where to post this, so if it should be moved, please do so.

I checked on my chins before I went to bed last night, and in the corner of the cage was some funky stuff. I freaked out. I have no idea what it is. It's a plastic-y texture, but I don't know where they could have gotten it. Could they have swallowed it and then thrown it up? The shape/form of it has me puzzled. If it is plastic, would it have melted to the current shape? Or is it something else?

They seem fine, btw. But I will watch them closely today.

Thanks!
Trish

Attachments

• what is this .jpg
    what is this .jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 27
  • what is this 2.jpg
    what is this 2.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 25
I’m not really sure what that is. But Chins are not able to throw up. Good luck

They are females.

I forgot that chinchillas don't vomit. So that leaves out that they ingested it before I saw it. That is a relief.

Ok, so today's update. I had thought on Monday that it might have been plastic from the texture of it. It was moist then, but it was near their water bottle. Looking at it again last night (being dried out for 24 hours) it definitely shrunk, so I'm thinking it can't be plastic. The texture is different now too. I am beyond puzzled.

I went through the parts of their room they have access to during playtime to see if I could find out where it could have come from. Nothing.

Is it possible that it was something that was in the hay?

It's most likely an estrus plug. Females will have one every time they go into "heat."

"It's most likely an estrus plug. Females will have one every time they go into heat."

Oh Good Lord. Tell me that they are not both females and that I have kits on the way. Sooooo not in the plan.

JoJo does hump Daphne sometimes, but I just thought it was a dominance issue.

I hope they are both girls, it looked like ejaculate to me, I had sexually hyperactive male, when he humped his stuffed friends he left something like this plastic look-a-like around.

I sure hope they're both girls too, but at this point I'm thinking not. Even if it is ejaculate, if I'm not in trouble now, I will be eventually. UGH!!!!!!!

I have no idea how I would get those pictures. I tried flipping JoJo over last night to see, but that did not go well. I emailed Barb (Mt. Zion Chins) this morning and asked if she confirmed that they were both females when she took them in. Haven't heard back yet.

I did take a couple more pics last night of the plug, or whatever it is, now that it's dried out and shrunken.

5e8mzn.jpg

ogkrd1.jpg

So if it is an estrus plug, is it a given that kits are on the way?

Should I separate them now?

Attachments

• 20171115_184627.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 19
  • 20171115_184253.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back