Flowers, Leaves, roots, etc?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash

Trouble....
Ok, so there's an herb shop in the local market and he has a wide selection of roots and flowers, etc etc etc to choose from as well.

Now, I know that Dandelions, hibiscus petals, and rosehips are OK, but I was wondering what sorts of other stuff I could look for from him that would be safe so I could mix up from the odd cheerio, rosehip and apple stick.

Also! He no longer sells Dandelion leaves, but does carry roots. Would these be OK? I'd type in the list of what he carries but it's so long, it'd likely be easier for you to suggest/tell and me to look on the list. Lol

I believe that rosebuds are safe. At least I remember someone selling the rosebuds on CnQ.

I also remember reading that marigold petals are safe as well as red clover flowers.

I do know that various herbs and flowers can have health effects on chins and so some shouldn't be given to pregnant females, but I can't find the website that had the list of safe herbs and their effects..

I'm hoping Nancy sees this thread and can give insight. I know she's pretty knowledgeable about safe herbs and such.

I don't have too much info to put in, but I would love if someone could come along with a list (kind of like the safe wood list we have).

:thumbsup:

I would not give herbs as a treat, they shouldn't be in and out of the diet, if used in the diet should be introduced slowly, used for a purpose ( digestion issues, poos, etc. ), or as a supplement to be given regularly.

I agree with Riven, you are playing with fire by giving random herbs as treats. Stick with what is know and safe!

Well, the original point of this post was to get which ones were safe to use as 'treats' like the rosehips, hibiscus petals, etc. But it is nice to know which ones are safe.

Back