Do chinchillas eat treats when injured

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secretchin11

I scared my poor chinchilla and while he was running he bumped into so many things and tripped alot. He tried jumping onto and under things and failed badly. He was horrified the poor baby. I put him back in his cage and now I'm scared. It's only been 10 mins but now hes not eating or running on his wheel like he usually does. I offered him a goji berry and he took it but I'm still scared since even kids accept candy when they are hurt.

Also because I scared him so badly I fear our bond has been broken. I dont know what I can do to fix that now. I'm scared he will hate me forever and hes only one so that's a long time for a chinchilla to hate you

I hate myself to much for this. When do I know if I should take him to the vet? Do I wait a bit longer to see what he does? It's too late to go to the vet now so if hes not eating should I try in the morning?

Please help me I'm really scared.

Thank you in advance

Update

He ate a bit last night and he was munching on hay. Unfortunately my other chin scared him again and when he was trying to escape he fell from a small distance snd I snatched him up asap. Unfortunately he is scared and sleeping in the corner again. He winces a bit when awake. He does to seem to have any issues when he runs I'm just scared. Also when he does get scared he runs around his cage like a psycho.

I really cant tell if hes injured

Thank you in advance

If he isn't showing any signs of being injured (limping, not moving, etc) and has started eating again I would just give him time to calm down. Yes a chin will accept treats even when hurt, if not hurt too badly, so you know it's really bad when he wont even take treats. Chins are good at hiding injury though, so if he is acting off then take him to get checked out.

I would just give him a week or so to just calm down, don't do anything that might cause you to need to catch him. You can restore the bond, he wont hate you forever, but you will need to re-earn his trust. Depending on what happened that can take time, days, weeks, or even months. It's best to start back at the beginning with bonding, as though he is a new chin.

Back