Neutering and weight!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AppyGirl

Animal Lover
Hello everybody! Awhile ago I was looking into neutering my male chinchillas and I swear I came across a thread that said how much a chinchilla should weigh before they're neutered but I can't seem to find it. Do you guys know how much they're supposed to weigh?
Also I was hoping I could find approximate healthy weights for chinchillas at different age marks. If you know either of things your input would be greatly appreciated!

Chinchillas weights can vary widely, from around 400g to 1,000+g so there is no specific weight that chins should be. What are the weights of the parents? that would give you an idea of how much your chin should weigh. If the chin doesn't feel bony or have fat rolls it's probably at a healthy weight for that chin.

As for neutering, I would strongly advise against it unless there is a medical reason for it. It's a very risky surgery that has no known health benefits for chinchillas. A lot can go wrong, during and after the operation, and the chin could die. It's not like getting a cat or dog neutered, it's very invasive and painful, requiring weeks of round the clock recovery care. If you do a search for neutering on this forum you will find other people's stories.

I agree with Amethyst. Neutering does not do anything for them behaviorally, all it does is remove the possibility of them reproducing. If you keep him away from females, there is no pregnancy risk. I know there was a user here who almost lost her chin to infection. The risk does not outweigh the benefits. They don't handle anesthesia well and if the surgery itself doesn't kill them, the healing process might.

If you have females, just don't allow them to interact. Keeping them separate is a small price to pay rather than killing him.

I agree with everybody above, stay away from neutering. Use the money you would use for the neuter fee and buy another cage and/or supplies.

I highly caution against a neuter unless there is a medical reason. I made the mistake of neutering a chinchilla and it almost killed him. Not only the procedure is hard, but so is recovery. My boy tried to pull out his stiches and ended up at the vets for several days with an infection. Never again will I neuter. It also broke the bond I had neutered him for. They hated each other for over a month and I had to reintroduce all over again after he recovered. I almost gave up and kept them separate because of the spats.

Back