Safe Wood

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

circulita17

Hello guys!! i have been wanting to make ledges for my chin. I went to home depot and I didn't see any kiln dried wood, I searched online and only found this. If this wood is no Bueno, which wood can i purchase from Home Depot or Lowes? Do I need to prep the wood? I know I need to sand the edges down. I am new to this so any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

That kiln dried white wood should be fine, white wood is generally pine/spruce/fir, all are fine so long as they are kiln dried. Another chin safe wood commonly found at hardware stores is poplar, which does not need to be kiln dried. If you do a search for chin safe wood you should get a whole list. Lumber is already dried out and good to go, no real preping required unlike fresh cut wood. You don't even need to sand down the edges, you can if you want, but the chin will just chew them down anyway.

That kiln dried white wood should be fine, white wood is generally pine/spruce/fir, all are fine so long as they are kiln dried. Another chin safe wood commonly found at hardware stores is poplar, which does not need to be kiln dried. If you do a search for chin safe wood you should get a whole list. Lumber is already dried out and good to go, no real preping required unlike fresh cut wood. You don't even need to sand down the edges, you can if you want, but the chin will just chew them down anyway.

Thank you so much, I am going to make some ledges and put it around to make a pee guard. She keeps peeing outside of her cage. Hopefully I know how to make some. I have looked up some DIYs but I am still a little hesitant because I don't want to harm my little chinchilla.

If you do a search for chin safe wood you should get a whole list. Lumber is already dried out and good to go, no real preping required unlike fresh cut wood. You don't even need to sand down the edges, you can if you want, but the chin will just chew them down anyway.

Back