I Need Tips For The Cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

circulita17

Hello Everyone! hope you all are doing good. I am having a hard time with my chinchilla "Stella". I recently adopted her, because the owner did not want her anymore. So, I told her I would adopt her, since they were just going to throw her out in a field. She has been doing fine, I changed her diet to Mazuri pellets and Oxbow hay always available. She has a chew toy in her cage and a wheel that she loves to run in. She had a cooling spot and two tunnels which she sleeps in. Am I missing anything for her? I am a newbie in learning. Stella is two years old, she is sweet. My only concern is that when she pees she sticks her little butt in the corner of the cage and pees, and the pees fall through the cracks of the metal cage and go all over the floor. The cage is beginning to rust and I was going to see if there is anything I can use as a guard to direct the urine flow into the liner of the cage. Does anyone have tips for me? thank you guys in advance.

If you can post a pic of the cage that would help (post on a photo site then link, the photo attachment on the form doesn't work most of the time). From what you said so far though, you do want more then one chew toy in the cage, and an assortment too, so hanging toys, toss toys, shredding toys, chew toys, etc. A chinchilla is about as smart as a 2 year old human, so they do get bored if they don't have enough toys and things to do. As for the peeing out of the cage, one option is to get a metal corner litter pan, like this or even a metal baking pan in the corner she uses. If your chin doesn't chew fleece, another option is to clip a piece of fleece to the side of the cage, so the pee goes on the fleece instead of the floor.

Back