Colors?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueDiamond

I'm getting a knew chin soon, and I was wondering if there is a " best" color to buy? I want to breed eventually.

You can never go wrong with a quality standard. Do plenty of research and make sure you have a generous vet fund before you start.

Consider cost before diving into the breeding world, also. A standard gray at a pet store will be around $150. A high quality, show quality, standard gray male will easily be several hundred dollars, easily $400+.
So I guess a better question is, how much can you afford to spend on buying the chinchilla?

If you have to ask "does it matter what color I breed that one to?" then you aren't anywhere near ready to breed animals. Get a chin, enjoy it for a while, do research, attend some shows, then find a mentor. THEN you can start worrying about breeding.

If you have to ask "does it matter what color I breed that one to?" then you aren't anywhere near ready to breed animals. Get a chin, enjoy it for a while, do research, attend some shows, then find a mentor. THEN you can start worrying about breeding.
I was not planning to breed for a while, I just wanted to start out with a chin I could breed if I got into it

I would say a High Quality standard male is the place to start. Does it matter what color you breed it to...Yes it matters based on what your breeding goal is. But a Standard male is Key to breeding right

After getting a quality standard male, you would want to purchase quality females that would compliment him, color is the least important thing.

Back