11 week old kit still nursing?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missmichele

Hi, I tried searching around for this answer but no luck:-( I apologize if this is a repeat question. Rosie is 11 weeks old today and still nursing. (Her brothers been on his own since 8 weeks.) Should I intervene? If I did seperate them, how long does mama (Lola) need for her milk to dry up? Normally I would think nature will take its course but it took me 2yrs and 4 months to wean my first child so Im feeling very sorry for Lola! Also these girls are very, very attached and cry for eachother if they are apart at all.
Thanks for your help!

I doubt she is producing buckets of milk at this point. You could probably separate them for a two or three days and it would work. She's not nursing for nutrition, she's comfort nursing. If they are apart for a bit, it should break the habit.

Separate them. The mom won't dry up until the kit stops nursing. At this point the milk is doing the kit no good and can actually drain the mother if she keeps producing.

Back