2012 Statistics

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMSChins

Hendryx Chinchillas
Nicole Lemler has inspired this thread from a FB post that she started. Just curious as to how the breeders out there did this year as opposed to last year. I myself have grown considerably. I have 32 breeding females this year as opposed to only 10 in breeding last year. I had 28 kits born in 2011 and these are my stats for 2012:

In 2012 I had:
113 chinchilla kits born (as opposed to the much more manageable 28 kits last year)
61-females
52-males

I had:
54 litters
17 single litters
22 litters of twins
11 sets of triplets
2 litters of quads
1 litter of quints
and 1 litter of sextuplets (poor mama)

17 deaths or stillbirths (higher than last year but rate substantially decreased after I stopped feeding supplement to pregnant moms)

Colors:
57 standard
23 ebony
15 white
9 black velvet
6 beige
2 pinkwhite
1 violet

Well since Nicole doesn't get on much I thought I would copy the stats over.

268 kits born
129-female 140-male
150 litters
61-single
62-twins
24-triplets
3-quads

44 deaths (higher % than in the past, but we had an illness go through the herd that took a toll on our growers)

124 standards
48 beige
23 black velvet
29 ebony
45 mosaics

13 kits born
6 females/7 males

8 litters
4 singles
3 twins
1 set of triplets

5 st grey
1 black velvet
1 homo beige
3 hetro beige
3 ebony

After not breeding for 3 years I wanted to ease back in. I put a few more females into breeding and am growing out several of the kits.

Last year we had 23 females in breeding but are hoping to grow some this coming year.

37 litters
61 kits born
32 females & 29 males
17 single
16 twins
4 triplets

Colors:
37 standards
11 ebonies
6 black velvets
3 beige/tan
3 pink white
1 mosaic

No births here! Artie is enjoying her retirement with Miss Buttonwillow. :D

Phew this was work! I don't know how you do it Nicole with all those numbers. Took me awhile just to do my handful.

57 babies born
32 boys/25 girls
12 single births
15 twin births
5 triplet births

37 standards
6 violets
3 whites
3 ebonies
2 beige
2 black
2 blue diamond
1 sapphire
1 pink white

I'm expecting a smaller number of kits born next year. We are going to be rearranging and adding new animals through out the year.

Phew this was work! I don't know how you do it Nicole with all those numbers. Took me awhile just to do my handful

It helps to keep a herd book. I update it twice a month then at the end of the year you just have to go through and add up the numbers :)

We record each animal born in the herd book. The date it was born, the sex, if it died, we kept it, or sold it, the animal number, the dam and sire, litter number, and color. Then when we go to shows I record in there what the animal was rewarded.

Perhaps this would be a good Shindig discussion......Im thinking yes!

I had 4 females in breeding at the beginning of the year and right now I have 15 open. All of the weird stuff not related to Tov Tan Whites came from Ronda in March.

45 Babies
11 Singles
12 Twins
3 Triplets

10 Deaths, unusually high percentage, but I did bring in a new herd with a lot of unknown females and a bunch of hard to work with recessives.

Colors;

3 Hetero Beige
3 Beige s/c
1 Black Velvet
2 Chocolates
1 Dark Tan
1 Ebony, Dark
3 Ebony, Medium
1 Mosaic v/c
4 Sapphire v/c
3 Standard d/c
9 Standards (most possible carriers)
1 Standard s/c pvc
4 Tan Whites
1 Tov Tan White
1 Tov White Mosaic
3 Tov Tans
1 Medium Tan
2 Violets
1 Violet s/c
1 White Violet

Breeding for Tov Tan Whites produces every dominant color. Breeding standard carriers together always leaves a hot mess of carriers, even though it is the right thing to do with recessives. :D

2 single births by same momma, one stillborn
2 sets of twins
1 set of triplets which were 2 pregnancies ( first baby came and then 2nd two arrived 7 hours later) all doing great now!
1 set of quads one stillborn
1 set of 6 babies all born alive but momma died after birth and I totally sucked at hand feeding and was not able to save any of them ( they were all very small as well) very bad week that one was! I have experience this once before but was able to foster some of them out with good results...I hope and pray that two times is the limit for me!

Last edited:
1 set of triplets which were 2 pregnancies ( first baby came and then 2nd two arrived 7 hours later) all doing great now!

How do you know they were from different pregnancies? I am guessing because of the length between each kit born?. And if that's the case I wouldn't agree with that.

Back