Quarantine cage--will this work?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hardware cloth is a wire mesh you can get at most hardware stores. if i recall correctly, the spacing on hardware cloth is 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch. it comes in a roll, and you need wire cutters to cut it to size to fit your cage, putting it on the inside of the cage bars so that the chin can't get between the cage bars and the hardware cloth (if it was wrapped around the outside of the cage). use wire to attach it to the cage bars.

Ahhh...I'd seen that wire mesh before but never knew that was what it was called, thank you ChinnyMom.

To pester you all again, this one has the metal bottom, and the spacing is 7/16"...would that be ok? After a year I'm still sooo green at all of this. :embarrassed:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Anima...s=63&clkid=7083070176119942465#ht_1430wt_1162

Just wanted to say that for most collapsible dog cages, it's the bottom you most have to worry about. They can get out down near the pan where the bars are wider apart. Especially if they try to go under the pan. Make sure to put the cloth on the bottom to!

Ahhh...I'd seen that wire mesh before but never knew that was what it was called, thank you ChinnyMom.

To pester you all again, this one has the metal bottom, and the spacing is 7/16"...would that be ok? After a year I'm still sooo green at all of this. :embarrassed:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Anima...s=63&clkid=7083070176119942465#ht_1430wt_1162

That one looks like it should work with modifications, but those doors look really hard to get into. I'm wondering if you'll find catching your chinnie out of it to be near impossible.

Four a couple dollars more you can get this one, with larger doors that might be easier to deal with and clean.

That one looks like it should work with modifications, but those doors look really hard to get into. I'm wondering if you'll find catching your chinnie out of it to be near impossible.

Four a couple dollars more you can get this one, with larger doors that might be easier to deal with and clean.

:hmm: I do like the look of that one better---my next chin would certainly have more room to jump around. I emailed the seller about the cage I listed (to see more angles of it), and he said that was the only photo he had--:banghead: In fact I think the cages come from the same seller, lol.

I'm just wondering about the doors---on both of the cages, how do they open? Are they pull down or open right to left/vice versa? Maybe I need another pair of eyes to take a look at it. <Doesn't help the shelves and ramps I'd take down are in the background.> I appreciate you sending me this link, though!!!! :)

Ok, two possible problems solved.

Guy who lives nearby needs to rehome his male chin. My bf and I'd had our reservations about getting another male (as paranoid as it sounds, the fact Mr. Man died when I was checking for hair rings really freaked me out).

But this guy has a huge, cute male, complete with cage/dust/hay--all stuff I don't need but would take if it's what I use. Except for the cage. The bottom level of my Ferret Nation is perfectly good (aside from a deep cleaning), and I simply don't need another permanent chin cage.

However, he sent me a pic of the cage, and it looks like it would be a good quarantine cage (this is what he lives in all the time so I feel a little sorry for him, seems a bit small).

I'm not at home so I'll post the link soon.

The cage with the larger doors... it looks like those are the doors that slide upwards... like bird aviary cages. I could be wrong, but that's just how it looks to me.

We've got a huuuuge cage that's got those doors... just sitting here... partially cause (1) some chins can figure out those doors so we'll have to c-ring all the ones we don't want opened permanently closed, and (2) I'm not sure I want to have to hold the door open with one hand while I reach in for a chin with another. And for the ones that would remain not c-ringed... I would still feel the need to use spring clips to hold them closed cause believe me, some chins can figure out, "hey, I push this up and it opens!"

That's how it looks to me as well. I would run to the hardware store though, and get a few big springs and some stainless steel wire and make some clips to keep them shut. Would only take a few minutes, and thats a pretty decent price for a cage that large.

It is from the same seller, I just browsed through their other cages for sale. They had another one, that was a little more expensive, but much nicer. http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-level-Ferret-Chinchilla-Sugar-Glider-Cage-0482-4-colors-available-/260969782983?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc302deThis one.c7 I think this is the same cage, but it has pictures from other angles and more close up.

We've got a huuuuge cage that's got those doors... just sitting here... partially cause (1) some chins can figure out those doors so we'll have to c-ring all the ones we don't want opened permanently closed, and (2) I'm not sure I want to have to hold the door open with one hand while I reach in for a chin with another. And for the ones that would remain not c-ringed... I would still feel the need to use spring clips to hold them closed cause believe me, some chins can figure out, "hey, I push this up and it opens!"

Yeah, the one I posted does look like it'd be kind of hard to get in and out of. If I were to get that, though, I have oodles of C-rings so that wouldn't be a big deal. Thankfully my chins have never tried to open the FN doors. Sappho--on the other hand--loves attempting to pry open her portable one, :hammer:

That's how it looks to me as well. I would run to the hardware store though, and get a few big springs and some stainless steel wire and make some clips to keep them shut. Would only take a few minutes, and thats a pretty decent price for a cage that large.

It is from the same seller, I just browsed through their other cages for sale. They had another one, that was a little more expensive, but much nicer. http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-level-Ferret-Chinchilla-Sugar-Glider-Cage-0482-4-colors-available-/260969782983?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc302deThis one.c7 I think this is the same cage, but it has pictures from other angles and more close up.

Those cages are nicer, I'm just not sure they're in my budget. Plus we don't have the extra room at the moment for another cage with wheels, etc. I appreciate the links, though. I'll have to get with my boyfriend and see what he thinks...generally he takes care of the rats' stuff, and I cover the chins'. Maybe he'd be willing to pitch in.

I realized that pic I tried to post of the guy's cage didn't work. I'm pretty certain this is the cage he has (he doesn't know the brand). http://www.superpetusa.com/product-list/chew-proof-chinchilla-home.htm

Last edited:
Ahh, there we go. Haha. I would think if you removed the shelves and floor that came with it and put in wood and fleece, it would be fine for a quarantine cage. Why were you looking to quarantine him in the first place? I think I've missed something...

Ahh, there we go. Haha. I would think if you removed the shelves and floor that came with it and put in wood and fleece, it would be fine for a quarantine cage. Why were you looking to quarantine him in the first place? I think I've missed something...

After all of the hemming and hawwing, I decided not to take him. I'm still freaked out about Mr. Man dying the way he did (so I may just stick to females)--and even though we don't have any rescues around here, I feel like getting one from the pet store is in a way rescuing them (since the environments aren't very optimum)--even though I know everyone poopoos that.

However, I'm considering buying a similar cage to the one I linked. Our local pet store has one for $75, and no shipping! Like you said, with modifications it would be fine. Also found out through my bf that his dad has cages of various sizes, so there might be one we could modify, which would be great money-wise.

I'm quarantining whichever chin I get because I've read on here that they need to be at least across the room from your present chin(s) for around 30 days, in case they have something contagious/contractible that might take weeks to show. And if I get a petstore chin, the odds of that could be high.

After all of the hemming and hawwing, I decided not to take him. I'm still freaked out about Mr. Man dying the way he did (so I may just stick to females)--and even though we don't have any rescues around here, I feel like getting one from the pet store is in a way rescuing them (since the environments aren't very optimum)--even though I know everyone poopoos that.

However, I'm considering buying a similar cage to the one I linked. Our local pet store has one for $75, and no shipping! Like you said, with modifications it would be fine. Also found out through my bf that his dad has cages of various sizes, so there might be one we could modify, which would be great money-wise.

I'm quarantining whichever chin I get because I've read on here that they need to be at least across the room from your present chin(s) for around 30 days, in case they have something contagious/contractible that might take weeks to show. And if I get a petstore chin, the odds of that could be high.

I know the quarantining thing, but was confused on if you were getting a chin with a cage, why you would buy another cage to quarantine him in.

I would check out the bf's dads cages and see if there's anything good in there before I'd go drop the money on a pet store cage.

Then again, when it came to me buying a new cage for my boys, I spent weeks looking, and ultimately decided to build my own. In the end, it cost me about as much as a FN on sale, but is more then twice the size.

I know the quarantining thing, but was confused on if you were getting a chin with a cage, why you would buy another cage to quarantine him in.

I would check out the bf's dads cages and see if there's anything good in there before I'd go drop the money on a pet store cage.

Then again, when it came to me buying a new cage for my boys, I spent weeks looking, and ultimately decided to build my own. In the end, it cost me about as much as a FN on sale, but is more then twice the size.

Well, when I thought I was getting the chin, I wasn't sure that the cage that came with him (the guy insisted) would be suitable for even a quarantine cage--I was concerned it was too small.

Yes, tomorrow I'm gona go out to his dad's barn and see what all he's got. He saves 'em for some future project, :hammer: I do have a question, though. I know there's a cage out there that Sappho and Mr. Man came in (it's a weirdly shaped cage, painted white, metal), and being exposed to the elements it's gotten rusty. If I bought that metal cloth and covered the entire interior (and put down fleece/shelves) do you think that could be suitable? Or does the rust make it null and void?

By the way, I appreciate all of your feedback! You too GreyChins!! :nod:

It depends how bad the rust is. Is it just surface rust? Or has it eaten through parts of the cage? If its just surface, wash it down well, scrub it with a brillo pad, and it may be fine as is. You could line it with the metal cloth if you wanted, but I'm not sure it would be necessary.

When I was building my cage, I was looking for information on re-painting a cage. From the information I gathered from my LPS and the internet, Krylon spray paint is bird/small animal safe. You might want to look into that yourself, but for 3 bucks, that should cover up the rust spots you've got going on and prevent it from getting worse. Couldn't hurt.

It depends how bad the rust is. Is it just surface rust? Or has it eaten through parts of the cage? If its just surface, wash it down well, scrub it with a brillo pad, and it may be fine as is. You could line it with the metal cloth if you wanted, but I'm not sure it would be necessary.

When I was building my cage, I was looking for information on re-painting a cage. From the information I gathered from my LPS and the internet, Krylon spray paint is bird/small animal safe. You might want to look into that yourself, but for 3 bucks, that should cover up the rust spots you've got going on and prevent it from getting worse. Couldn't hurt.

You may be my new best friend, :bowdown: THANK YOU for all of the suggestions! I believe the rust is surface only. If I didn't repaint it, I would have to line it because pieces of the paint have chipped off, and I know more would get chewed off in the future.

Interestingly, I just discovered AZChins sells a cage that is pretty much what I'm looking for: http://chinstore.azchins.com/SmallLedge.htm I'd have to inquire how much the shipping would be. If none of the cages out back work, I may buy one of these (it would certainly take the hassel out of modifying a pet store cage). :yes:

Glad I could help.

I've heard Susan makes nice cages. I see them old and nasty on Craig's List every once in a while, and they're still always structurally sound and solid looking.

Back