2 babies got out of cage when i was cleaning the cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michellemonster

so 2 of my 3 baby chinchillas that are 4 weeks old today got out from there cage when i was cleaning there cage. i turned around for one second and now they have taken up shop underneath my giant chair. that i cant lift or move and if i did they would just run and hide somewhere else.. what do i do to entice them out from under there ?? im already tried sitting with the momma and see if that would and instead she tried to go hide under there to thank god i was fast enough to catch her. ive got a pile of hay and sticks and dust baths lining the bottom of it in hopes that it will entice them out.. i got the night off of work so i can be on chinchilla hunting duty.. do i just have to sit here and wait it out??

Is there no one that can help you move the chair? I would get someone to help move the chair and be ready to grab. Butterfly nets are pretty effective in catching little ones too.

no one at all. me and my bf of 3 years just broke up so i live alone. and the only other person here that i know goes to sleep at 7pm and all she had to say was goodluck.

should i put along the edge but not to close some of the pellets too? thank god my boss is really understanding and a animal lover. otherwise i would be going to work soon. but now i have all night to try and get them out

yeah im terrified of accidently smooshing them under the chair. which is why im not gunna attempt to move the chair by myself. that thing ways like 150lbs.....

try this

put the dust bath out and scratch the side of it...as soon as one gets in quickly cover up the hole and put it in the cage..

What I have done is take towels, rugs and blakets to block the bad places like the kitchen and between the washer and dryer and so on, then take a broom or maybe a foam swimming noodle and gently persuade them out of there and if I don't get them then I keep trying. My best bet is to corral them down the hallway. If needed I come down the hallway dragging a small throw blanket in front of me on the floor like a Matador and drop it on 'em.

ill try these. i dont have a swim noodle but maybe if i can find my broom and try to corral them into the dust baths or the 2 little carrier cages

ive been watching them like a hawk ever since they got out and know where they are. and they seem to have taken to sleeping underneath that chair>..>

here's an idea - as you move the crutch under the chair, stuff towels behind it to fill up the space. that way the lil boogers can't go back where they were before, and eventually you'll push them out from under there, because the space is getting filled with towels.

yess!! i got them i moved them to the front of the shair and just kinda tapped the crutch on the wall behind them until i came out. and then i used my hands to get them to go in the carriers omg. thank god.. 3 hours later and finally got them lol

thank you all for the ideas:) and help. dang things just wanted to give me trouble on there 4 week birthday lol. now they are wall surfing:|

I'm glad you were able to get everyone safely back in their home. :)

I had to deal with this yesterday, too, lol. Having escapees is not fun at all. :(

Back