2 out of 4...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riven

Bad Chin
2 out of 4 isn't good odds, that's 50%, so if you're talking about winning the lottery... good odds, with chins, not so much.

I have a girl I've been watching for the last three days, she's been miserable, not eating hardly anything, could feel the babies, I'd rub her tummy, but none of the normal active labor signs. This morning I randomly checked on her and found three sprawled out one still in the sac, one limp, and one clinging on. I grabbed the one in the sac and the one barely hanging on, rubbed them in from of the heater then took them inside to the warm water. The barely hanging on baby made it and is fiesty, the other one.. no luck. When I took the "lone surviving kit" out to momma with a sad heart I didn't check in sooner low and behold another one, alive and doing fine. This girl was NOT that big. I would've thought two was the max... I watched her, I rubbed her, I feed her pellets from my hand... and still I lost two. She is very protective over her two. But I just wanted to share a reminder that sometimes breeding chins isn't always good odds.

You're right Tiffany, and no matter how much new breeders read some just don't realize the heartache until it happens. :(

It always sucks when we lose them. I lost A1 the day he was born even though he was small he must have been breeched cause his rear two legs were half gone likely from mom pulling. He didn't make it much after I found him, his brother who I though was fine died the next day while I was in the hospital so I have no clue what happened with him. Breeding isn't always fun...I am sorry

You know, even when you THINK you've become numb to it...after so many years and so many of these things per year happening...it really doesn't sting any less does it? I lost a mosaic male this past year...was there for the birth...he was breach (which I couldn't tell at first) and was apparently in the birth canal too long...I helped get him out once I realized he was breach and she was having issues...slung (a bit) rubbed (a ton) warm water...rubbed some more...till several hours had gone by and my other half advised me that he just wasn't coming back...it was aweful...sorry for your loss

Vyxxin it doesn't. I think it hurts a little bit less once you have seen it, but it still makes you want to just ask why, what went wrong. I think sometimes when my husband sees me trying so hard to save a kit like that he remembers that although I seem strong... inside I'm a softie somewhere, lol. The kit in the sac I knew it was gone.. but it was still warm and I kept thinking maybe... just maybe.

Tonight when I did chores the one I saved was gone. It was bleeding from the nose and I think the mother may have killed her. :( The other girl is doing fine. I watched her with them both for about a hour earlier.. and she was taking care of both of them. I know it's possible there was something wrong with it, but she seemed so healthy and then I wonder what if I would've fostered her... There is always the what if when something like this happens...

I'm so sorry you lost the 3 kits, despite your best efforts. I know I could never personally breed chins (or any other animal) because the loss is just too much. It is such a joyous ocassion when all goes right...but unfortunately, mother nature throws in chaos and disasters can happen. The 'what ifs' can totally beat you up, so just concentrate on the one remaining kit and I hope she thrives for you.

i dont know how you guys do it! i know all the stories about the cute ones that survive or the miracle stories make things better. but i dont know if i could deal with the loss, the abnormallities and the injuries that you all deal with. i always applaud you all!
i hope the last little one makes it.

Ah the what if's :( What if I'd checked sooner...what if I'd noticed earlier...what if I'd tried harder...some just don't make it, we all know that...but the what ifs never do end :(

Back