2 days after having babies, bleeding from vagina

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My heart dropped too. I realized I has stopped breathing for a few moments just from shock. I am so so sorry, that's awful. I wish I had something comforting to say, but I can't really think of anything.

Maybe they all had some sort of congenital disorder. And in that case, the fall wouldn't have really made a difference if their fates were sealed from birth.

Hope you can bounce back and feel better about it soon. There was nothing you could've done to prevent it, it seems.

I'm thinking something was wrong with all of the babies. They all were eating, but not really gaining, despite the fact that I was feeding them every two hours. They'd eat, and they'd gain... but by the next two hours they'd have lost a gram or two... so it was like my feeding them was keeping them steady rather than gaining... seemed a bit odd.

And there's the fact that they all died within a day of each other. So I'm thinking there was just something wrong with all of them. Still, poor things. :( Just a part of life though...

I am so very sorry for your losses. My heart goes out to you. :hug:

RIP little ones.

I am so sorry for your loss... I've lost chinchilla mom 2 months ago and a couple weeks after that one of the kits (girl). It was heart breaking experience... I really feel for you. Other two kits have survived two months and seem to be doing fine. We have another chinchilla that is due to give birth by next week Tuesday. And after my own experience and after reading this post - I am terrified... I never knew that you could put new born kits with another female.

Thank you. It's hard, and this was actually the second litter I've had to recently handfeed (I just finished handfeeding a trio of kits who did all make it - mom didn't get in milk... but they also didn't have any issues taking to the water bottle like you're having). Good luck with your pregnant female, hopefully this time around will go better for you.

Yeah, you can put kits with another female. I actually would have put them with one of my males from a colony cage, but because of a crabby female who wanted to "protect him" *rolls eyes*, I couldn't get him out. Just for example, if you had a female who had milk and her own litter, you could even attempt to put other kits (not hers) with her if something happened to the mom and she'd likely nurse all of them. In my situation, it was more that I wanted there to be a chin that the babies could snuggle with and keep warm with, because I didn't have another female who was nursing kits. And I don't think any of my chins are pregnant (or far along if they are) at the moment so I think I'll get to have a break from the kit-related problems for a little while... again, good luck!

I'm so sorry to hear about your losses, hand feeding baby anythings is a touch and go process. I hope that things start to look up for you.

Hey Gray, I've been reading this obsessively, watching the journey of your Chin to recovery. I know this is an older post, but I cried when I found out you lost your little one. I'm so very sorry for your lost.

Back